does residency training include lasik?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yogi Bear

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
so if u're fresh out of residency, are u qualified to do lasik? if u are trained in it, how many times do u do it on patients and do they know that a resident is doing it rather than an attending/professor?

Members don't see this ad.

Iowa is one of the few programs that implemented a refractive surgery program for their residents. We offer free refractive surgery for other residents, fellows, and their family members. During the last two years, the outcomes are outstanding with all patients being 20/40 or better with over 90% being 20/25 or better. I don't have the exact numbers, but hopefully our success will be published soon.

Unfortunately, less than 20% of training programs offer refractive surgery experience for their residents. These residents must find additional training via fellowship or other surgeons.

At Iowa, we can do as many surgeries as we recruit. The seniors range from 5-10+ cases each. With our current outcome data, there will be more people interested in pursuing this perk of being a resident at Iowa. ;)

Andrew_Doan said:
Iowa is one of the few programs that implemented a refractive surgery program for their residents. We offer free refractive surgery for other residents, fellows, and their family members. During the last two years, the outcomes are outstanding with all patients being 20/40 or better with over 90% being 20/25 or better. I don't have the exact numbers, but hopefully our success will be published soon.

Unfortunately, less than 20% of training programs offer refractive surgery experience for their residents. These residents must find additional training via fellowship or other surgeons.

At Iowa, we can do as many surgeries as we recruit. The seniors range from 5-10+ cases each. With our current outcome data, there will be more people interested in pursuing this perk of being a resident at Iowa. ;)

interesting. would u ever consider getting lasik? how do u guys prepare for it? i.e. pratice using a bunch of sheep/cow eyes under the real machine or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yogi Bear said:
interesting. would u ever consider getting lasik? how do u guys prepare for it? i.e. pratice using a bunch of sheep/cow eyes under the real machine or something?
We have a refractive surgery meeting every year that we attend. There is a wet lab that is part of the refractive surgery meeting. We also have lectures throughout the year. We also assist in a bunch of them.

Although most programs don't get their residents as many numbers as they get in Iowa, a lot of programs will give you some lasik experience. At the very least, some programs just pay for you to go to the refractive surgery meeting and you get certified after watching one procedure and then performing one yourself.

If you were in private practice when lasik came out, that's all you'd do before you were "certified" to perform it on your own patients.