Does school ranking matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dancer2OT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am trying to decide between a highly ranked OTD program v. a MOT program that does not have much of a reputation. I was wondering if anyone knew how much the ranking of the school you graduated from matters in terms of finding a job. I really like both programs - cost is the huge deciding factor. If my marketability as a new grad from an OT program is similar regardless of the ranking of the school I graduate from, I will probably choose the more affordable option.

Good luck everyone!

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I don't think it matters in the sense that a potential employer is probably not going to judge your qualifications for the job based off of what school you attended. However, in many ways, I do think that some schools (with higher ratings) often have those ratings because they offer extensive networking opportunities and can potentially *get you a job* based off of their connections.

Also, @OT4Life, I'm curious in the difference between the MOT and the OTD in terms of career possibilities, and you seem to have some knowledge in that regard - what you do mean that their are different career paths for OTD students?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the feedback! What do you think the best way to find out peer assessments are? Do you think alumni from the school would have useful feedback?

Thanks for pointing out the differences between MOT and OTD. I think I want to teach eventually so that's good to keep in mind.

Thanks again!