does sending thank you card to your interview increase your chance ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does sending thank you card to your interviewer increase your chance ? Some dental school interview guide suggest this action. But it seems like that I am sucking up too much..:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

is this necessary at all? or does it look like a contrived action? In all honesty, one of my two interviewers was SOOOOOOOOOOOO helpful and I would like to say thank you, but would it look like a "sucking up" action?/?

okay, this has been discussed a lot. In fact, there have probably been 2 threads on this exact same topic in the last month alone. That being said, we all know someone will answer anything anyway, so to repeat the repetition of a hundred previous threads...

Yes it can seem like sucking up
Don't do it cause it is silly
Do it because it is what all professionals do in the business world already
No it's not sucking up
You should only send one if the interviewer was particularly helpful
Make sure it isn't generic
Even if it isn't generic it is still cheesy
Make sure you send one as soon as the first week
Remember that you need to send it by the first month
Sending it could actually hurt your application
Sending it could actually help your application

I believe that is the gist of the variety of responses you normally get to this question, minus the anecdotal evidence. So I hope that helps you to make your decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
if you make it tasteful and not overly sycophantic i'm sure it's all good. no one is gonna throw out your application cause you thanked them for the opportunity to get to know their school better.

If the OP gets in then I think everyone else on SDN should get in because we've essentially done the whole process with him. =]

Definitely send a thank you. It's not sucking up. It's just common courtesy. If you didn't, it would be like receiving a gift and not sending a thank you. Really!

Yeah it's sucking up, that's the whole point! Who are you, that you don't have to suck up?