Does switching majors midway through college look bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cwc127

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently on the Biology track, however, I have seriously been contemplating a degree switch to Chemistry.

After Organic II, and the Organic Lab (which is combined to one semester at my school, and harder than either lecture) I am starting to find that I am truly interested in chemistry and chemical physics.

While the degree path would likely be harder, it would be classes that I enjoy.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how this would be looked upon. I could be adding who knows how long onto my undergrad career. Would adcoms look down or unfavorably upon this if I ever apply?

Members don't see this ad.

Many people change majors when discovering their interests in college, so it should not be a problem for med school admissions.

Changing majors too often.... Well, you know.

Members don't see this ad :)
No. Relax a little, you sound neurotic.

ditto to the no.

You have a legit reason, medical schools prob. won't even give a woot about it.

I changed my major three (3) times in college. Once a year for the first three years. It didn't seem to matter.

Many people change majors when discovering their interests in college, so it should not be a problem for med school admissions.

Changing majors too often.... Well, you know.

Usually, a shift in major is understandable as passions change and a person has an epiphany of what interests them. So yes, it will not hurt you. However, too many shifts is seen as if the person has no clear direction in what they want to do. That is a sign of uncertainty, something of which is frowned upon in medicine.

Usually, a shift in major is understandable as passions change and a person has an epiphany of what interests them. So yes, it will not hurt you. However, too many shifts is seen as if the person has no clear direction in what they want to do. That is a sign of uncertainty, something of which is frowned upon in medicine.

maybe i'm missing something; how do med schools know if you switch your major???

maybe i'm missing something; how do med schools know if you switch your major???
I dont think they do, but they will notice if youve taken random classes in communications, elem ed, bioengineerings, etc.

I do not think it is important at all, especially if you switch into something that you enjoy more, or get better grades in (can be used as evidence of enjoyment)

I switched majors half way. Bio->micro

My understanding is that they don't actually see your transcript per se. They say the AMCAS report with a version of your transcript on it. This is only verified against your actual university transcript.

This is the manner in which your "transcript" appears to an AMCAS school's admission committee:

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/advisors/2x_verified_app.pdf

So it seems to me that it doesn't matter how your information appears on your college transcript but how it appears on the AMCAS application after verification.

Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong but this might clear up some of the confusion.