Does switching majors midway through college look bad?

• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

Cwc127

10+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2007
Status (Visible)
I'm currently on the Biology track, however, I have seriously been contemplating a degree switch to Chemistry.

After Organic II, and the Organic Lab (which is combined to one semester at my school, and harder than either lecture) I am starting to find that I am truly interested in chemistry and chemical physics.

While the degree path would likely be harder, it would be classes that I enjoy.

Anyway, I'm just wondering how this would be looked upon. I could be adding who knows how long onto my undergrad career. Would adcoms look down or unfavorably upon this if I ever apply?

Xcited392

10+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status (Visible)
Many people change majors when discovering their interests in college, so it should not be a problem for med school admissions.

Changing majors too often.... Well, you know.

About the Ads

akszp4

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
ditto to the no.

You have a legit reason, medical schools prob. won't even give a woot about it.

pride4jc727

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Many people change majors when discovering their interests in college, so it should not be a problem for med school admissions.

Changing majors too often.... Well, you know.

Usually, a shift in major is understandable as passions change and a person has an epiphany of what interests them. So yes, it will not hurt you. However, too many shifts is seen as if the person has no clear direction in what they want to do. That is a sign of uncertainty, something of which is frowned upon in medicine.

james1988

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Usually, a shift in major is understandable as passions change and a person has an epiphany of what interests them. So yes, it will not hurt you. However, too many shifts is seen as if the person has no clear direction in what they want to do. That is a sign of uncertainty, something of which is frowned upon in medicine.

maybe i'm missing something; how do med schools know if you switch your major???

ChubbyChaser

Yummmy
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
maybe i'm missing something; how do med schools know if you switch your major???
I dont think they do, but they will notice if youve taken random classes in communications, elem ed, bioengineerings, etc.

silverhorse84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

They'll know if it's on your transcript. My school lists what major/college you started under and then what quarter you switched.

HopesDefender

10+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I do not think it is important at all, especially if you switch into something that you enjoy more, or get better grades in (can be used as evidence of enjoyment)

I switched majors half way. Bio->micro

cdmarshbu

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 11, 2007
Status (Visible)

My understanding is that they don't actually see your transcript per se. They say the AMCAS report with a version of your transcript on it. This is only verified against your actual university transcript.

This is the manner in which your "transcript" appears to an AMCAS school's admission committee:

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/advisors/2x_verified_app.pdf

So it seems to me that it doesn't matter how your information appears on your college transcript but how it appears on the AMCAS application after verification.

Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong but this might clear up some of the confusion.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.