Does taking care of a parent count as experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2failornot2fail

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Last semester, I had to help my mom because she has neck and back problems. She also has heart disease and diabetes. Because of this, I didn't work.

I'm the one who has to check her blood sugar level, take her blood pressure sometimes, and prepare her medication.

I was offered to be paid for this, and I accepted because we needed the money and I was doing it anyway.

My question is, can this count as patient experience when applying to medical school? I feel like a horrible son for asking this because my mother's wellbeing should not be for my profit. To be honest, though, this takes up a lot of my time and I feel I've learned quite a bit (due to reading literature among other things).

This isn't my only experience. I shadow and volunteer at a hospital.

Members don't see this ad.

Last semester, I had to help my mom because she has neck and back problems. She also has heart disease and diabetes. Because of this, I didn't work.

I'm the one who has to check her blood sugar level, take her blood pressure sometimes, and prepare her medication.

I was offered to be paid for this, and I accepted because we needed the money and I was doing it anyway.

My question is, can this count as patient experience when applying to medical school? I feel like a horrible son for asking this because my mother's wellbeing should not be for my profit. To be honest, though, this takes up a lot of my time and I feel I've learned quite a bit (due to reading literature among other things).

Diabeetus*

Not sure but I wish you both the best

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Okay for personal statement, I ding people who list stuff like this as an experience. My rationale is that the experience list is really about choices you've made. Caring for a family member, regardless of the circumstances, usually falls more into the category of an obligation. If this had meaning for you, describing it in narrative prose is the most effective way to convey it.

Reactions: 4 users
Try to list taking care of a family member as a patient contact experience is like trying to list breathing as an EC.

You're a good child, but you're expected to take care of family. Med schools want to know if you're willing to take care of strangers (many of whom are not nice people).

Reactions: 1 user
Try to list taking care of a family member as a patient contact experience is like trying to list breathing as an EC.

You're a good child, but you're expected to take care of family. Med schools want to know if you're willing to take care of strangers (many of whom are not nice people).
It may not be altruistic in the normal sense, but I'm sure OP can talk about what he/she learned for the experience. There are a lot of good lessons in hardship, especially for doctors who will be dealing with it often.

Edit: I wouldn't list it as an activity, but I would definitely talk about achieving a work/life balance with sick parent.

That is ok for PS
It may not be altruistic in the normal sense, but I'm sure OP can talk about what he/she learned for the experience. There are a lot of good lessons in hardship, especially for doctors who will be dealing with it often.

Edit: I wouldn't list it as an activity, but I would definitely talk about achieving a work/life balance with sick parent.

It is laudable to care for family members and to the degree it has influenced your growth you are free to include it in your narrative.

Including it in the activities section could be seen as crass or off-putting, however.
Most people care for their own family members. We are looking for those that will care for other people's family members. It does not necessarily follow that some one who will do one will be committed to the other.

I think this type of experience could also be used for a "challenge you've overcome" type essay. I'm curious if the ad coms would agree
It is laudable to care for family members and to the degree it has influenced your growth you are free to include it in your narrative.

Including it in the activities section could be seen as crass or off-putting, however.
Most people care for their own family members. We are looking for those that will care for other people's family members. It does not necessarily follow that some one who will do one will be committed to the other.
That is ok for PS
Okay for personal statement, I ding people who list stuff like this as an experience. My rationale is that the experience list is really about choices you've made. Caring for a family member, regardless of the circumstances, usually falls more into the category of an obligation. If this had meaning for you, describing it in narrative prose is the most effective way to convey it.

so to clarify, listing it as an EC is frowned upon (and i agree). but it's okay to discuss it in the personal statement and adversity/challenge secondary essays?

I don't know, the guy's case is a little different than just taking care of his mom like the rest of us would.
He's actually getting paid by IHSS, so it is a real paying job with a good amount of work.

If you feel that you need to account for your hours or that it otherwise looks like a glaring gap in your resume, you could list it as "employment". In that respect, it is clinical employment and you can list your responsibilities in the description.