Does the Mitchell scholarship boost Med School App (Deciding between accepting Mitchell vs Rhodes finalist interview)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allie2274

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been fortunate enough to receive a final interview invite for both the Rhodes and the Mitchell scholarships. You can only pursue one, and have to recuse yourself from the other (rule). I am inclined to take the Mitchell, as my semi-finalist interview went extraordinarily well, and the director wants me to take the scholarship. The Rhodes of course is more prestigious, but they will only select 2 from a pool of 12 amazing people. I don't want to sell myself short and would like to go on to an MD/PhD program. Do these programs value Mitchell scholarships? I would be doing a MSc in research (cancer). My office of national scholarships is encouraging me to take the Rhodes because that will help most for MD/PhD down the line, but I am leaning towards accepting the finalist invite to the Mitchell as it seems I am more likely to receive it.

Members don't see this ad.

Looking at the Bios of the current and former Mitchell Scholars, they are a not too shabby bunch.
The Scholarship was certainly a cherry on top for their applications to med school. If you are good enough to get either a Mitchell or a Rhodes, you are likely good enough to get into the med school program of your choice (provided you are a good fit with the school's mission).

Reactions: 1 users