Does the research topic really matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woodhorse22

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am graduating in May with a BS degree in Health Science and am doing research internship for the first time in Biochemistry dealing with protein isolation, characterization, as well as enzyme assays. Although Biochemistry is not my major, does it matter? I just want to get some clinical experience and see how research really is. Just to improve my application. THanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,
I am graduating in May with a BS degree in Health Science and am doing research internship for the first time in Biochemistry dealing with protein isolation, characterization, as well as enzyme assays. Although Biochemistry is not my major, does it matter? I just want to get some clinical experience and see how research really is. Just to improve my application. THanks

I'm pretty sure that what you're doing is NOT clinical (sounds like your interaction is going to be mostly with a lab bench), but to answer your main question, NO. Why would it matter?

As long as you can speak intelligently and enthusiastically about what you're researching, it does not matter.

(and to echo the above sentiment, I agree, you will probably be doing mostly bench work, no clinical)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

No, it doesn't matter. Just don't count it as clinical experience.

yes it matters. if you are not doing glioma imaging studies, your research will be vastly inferior to mine.