Does the Residency Program Matter for Fellowships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sivastraba

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question: Does the Residency program one attend play a big role when it comes to applying for competitive fellowships? In other words,
if some one goes to University of (X= State) to do Residency may that be an inconvenience when he is applying for fellowship at an Ivy League? Or do they look more at the kind of work you carried out while at the institution (ie., publications, annual conference presentations, etc.) I would appreciate anyone's input into all this matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Sivastraba said:
I have a question: Does the Residency program one attend play a big role when it comes to applying for competitive fellowships? In other words,
of course
fellowship programs also tend to take from within their own institution as well

Sivastraba said:
if some one goes to University of (X= State) to do Residency may that be an inconvenience when he is applying for fellowship at an Ivy League? Or do they look more at the kind of work you carried out while at the institution (ie., publications, annual conference presentations, etc.) I would appreciate anyone's input into all this matter.

Simply put, "yes" it does matter.

It's probably a more uphill battle to try to get a competitive fellowship if your residency doesn't have a great reputation within the field. The other things count (i.e. publications, presentations, etc.) but that's only a piece of the puzzle. Letters from name ppl in the field count more and they are usually at the more reputable programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
An interesting question. Certainly most important is your CV. I have found that program reputation does indeed matter. So does networking from the higher ups (your program director, chariman, etc). Also, most residencies with associated fellowships have a home court advantage for said fellowships (ie. they take care of their own residents if interested in the fellowship), but this is not a rule.

axm397 said:
Simply put, "yes" it does matter.

It's probably a more uphill battle to try to get a competitive fellowship if your residency doesn't have a great reputation within the field. The other things count (i.e. publications, presentations, etc.) but that's only a piece of the puzzle. Letters from name ppl in the field count more and they are usually at the more reputable programs.

> I have a question: Does the Residency program one attend play a big role when it comes to applying for competitive fellowships? In other words,
if some one goes to University of (X= State) to do Residency may that be an inconvenience when he is applying for fellowship at an Ivy League?

1. I think it matters a lot. I come from a program with a strong reputation, and of the residents who have matched in the past few years, we all had the impression that our program's reputation worked strongly in our favor.

2. Be careful with the association between Ivy League and quality when it comes to PM+R programs. Many of the very best programs are state schools (UMDNJ- both Kessler and JFK are state school programs of New Jersey, Washington, Ohio State, Michigan, amongst others). There are only a few Ivy League programs (Harvard, Columbia/Cornell, Penn), and I think most would argue that the 4 top state programs (Kessler, Washington, Ohio State, and Michigan) would hold up extremely well in comparison.