Does the school matter if you don't want to specialize?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Buckyball

Play with my "Buckyballs"
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone. Just a question I want to throw out there. If I don't want to specialize, does it really matter what school I go to. I would only go as far as to do a GPR or AEGD, and own my own practice later.

So, is any U.S. dental school okay, or does reputation make the difference?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think a reputation makes a difference in your case...instead, you should be choosing a school based upon:

1. the amount of clinical time/productivity
2. the size of the school's patient pool (more being better of course)
3. whether you'll get a chance to do many of the more complicated cases as a 3rd and 4th yr. or if they'll be shuttled off to the residents
4. how the school performs on part II of boards and state licensing exams (since those reflect clinical skills of the graduates)
5. default rates on loans for the graduates--the lower the rate, the more indicative this is of the fact that the school is producing great clinicians who are establishing succesful practices

and other factors I can't think of off the top of my head right now....hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Waiting,

Thanks for your reply. I have been accepted to Boston U. and Columbia. Both are good schools, but which would you recommend in my case, if you know about them.

I can tell you that columbia does have a large patient pool (right in Manhattan), and the students do well on the National Boards Part II.

Buckyball

If you hope to be licensed as a GP, I would avoid the "at home in your spare time" dental schools advertised on the inside of match books.

What does that mean?

buckyball,

I honestly don't know too much about BU personally other than what I've heard from others...I didn't go to my interview there since I wasn't able to coordinate it w/other schools and things. What I know of Columbia is what I gathered at the interview....while it's obviously a 'big-name' school that places many students into specialites, I also got the impression that the clinical training is also excellent. However, I'm sure you're aware that almost everyone (w/the exception of like 1 or 2?) does at least a gpr/aegd after graduation....which I see as a good thing, since that extra year of training will only better prepare you for taking on your own practice/associateship....As for location, I grew up outside Boston so I'm partial to it, but NYC can also be an unparalleled experience if you're into big city life. Personally, I'd choose Columbia...the rep doesn't hurt, the training is solid (albeit you'll probably study harder than you'll have to @ bu considering the course load at cu)....let us know what u decide....i'm still undecided myself!! :cool: