Does the School Really Matter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RaiderNation

Recently Reinstated
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When considering competitiveness for residencies or jobs after residency training, does you Pod school really matter? For example, would a graduate from Des Moines really have much of an advantage over a graduate from Arizona (or Oakland, Ohio, NYC, etc.), assuming they had the same numbers? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I asked the admissions officer at Oakland about this and he said that it doesn't really matter which school you went to and if you and others have the same numbers, it is the other factors that determine it such as your interview, personality, research and etc. How true is this, I don't know. I'm sure there are some hospitals that prefer graduates from local podiatric medical schools though.

Personally, I feel that the California School of Podiatric Medicine is underrated. They're the oldest school and their clinicals are among the best as to what other schools can offer. Students get very early exposure to patients, as early as the second year. Plus, they merged with Samuel Merritt and have many resources available to them.

Scholl definitely has a strong program. They also merged with Rosalind Franklin Univ/The Chicago Medical School and have many resources and some classes with the MD students. SCPM students are also immersed in the diversity of the school with the PA, DPT, MD, graduate students, etc. They have state of the art anatomy labs, newly designed OSCE labs simulating doctors offices with all the bells and whistles. The also have built a new clinic and have always had early patient contact to do palliative procedures in the second year. They finish didactics early (first semester PM3) and are out on rotations spring semester PM3.

Definitely check out Scholl!

Members don't see this ad :)
box29 said:
Scholl definitely has a strong program. They also merged with Rosalind Franklin Univ/The Chicago Medical School and have many resources and some classes with the MD students. SCPM students are also immersed in the diversity of the school with the PA, DPT, MD, graduate students, etc. They have state of the art anatomy labs, newly designed OSCE labs simulating doctors offices with all the bells and whistles. The also have built a new clinic and have always had early patient contact to do palliative procedures in the second year. They finish didactics early (first semester PM3) and are out on rotations spring semester PM3.

Definitely check out Scholl!

Temple students also finish all of their didactics by November of their third year so that they can do outside rotations.

RaiderNation said:
When considering competitiveness for residencies or jobs after residency training, does you Pod school really matter? For example, would a graduate from Des Moines really have much of an advantage over a graduate from Arizona (or Oakland, Ohio, NYC, etc.), assuming they had the same numbers? Thanks.

I think that it really does not matter what school you attend if you are the top of your class. Usually the top students in each school are on the same level and usually do well in getting the residency program that they want. Of coruse, there are always some exceptions. However, if you know that you would like to do your residency training in an area near a Podiatry school, your chances might be "slightly" better in getting a residency progarm in that area since many students may do rotations at some of the area residency programs or the residency programs in those areas may favor students from the nearby school. You do need to keep in mind that the latter statement does not apply to all programs.

gsrimport said:
I asked the admissions officer at Oakland about this and he said that it doesn't really matter which school you went to and if you and others have the same numbers, it is the other factors that determine it such as your interview, personality, research and etc. How true is this, I don't know. I'm sure there are some hospitals that prefer graduates from local podiatric medical schools though.

Personally, I feel that the California School of Podiatric Medicine is underrated. They're the oldest school and their clinicals are among the best as to what other schools can offer. Students get very early exposure to patients, as early as the second year. Plus, they merged with Samuel Merritt and have many resources available to them.

NYCPM has been a school since 1911, when was California founded?

Didn't know that, California is 89 years old.