How much lower than the average do you need to score in order to feel like you did really bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Windom Earle

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's say you thought an exam was really tough but then you see that the average was like an 85. Would a 5 point, 10, or 15 point difference make you feel really bad even though you still passed?

Members don't see this ad.

You're thinking too much.

B is a B.
Getting a C while class average is a B hurts.

Getting an 80 while class average is an 87- who cares, you made the cutoff.

Focus on yourself. If you have time to feel bad about point difference, than you have too much time.

Get tough. Get resilient. So you can score higher.

Reactions: 5 users
If I think an exam is really tough and I get a passing grade I call it a win and move on. Regardless of the averages, everyone will have a subject or topic that they struggle with for whatever reason. I would only start to feel bad if I was consistently thinking every exam I took was really hard because that would be a sign to myself that I'm not putting the necessary work and time into studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I think an exam is really tough and I get a passing grade I call it a win and move on. Regardless of the averages, everyone will have a subject or topic that they struggle with for whatever reason. I would only start to feel bad if I was consistently thinking every exam I took was really hard because that would be a sign to myself that I'm not putting the necessary work and time into studying.

What if you study really hard but still feel that way...

What if you study really hard but still feel that way...
I would conclude that my methods of studying are not sufficient and try something else. The biggest hurdle that I had to overcome early first year was realizing that certain studying techniques were helpful for some classes and a complete waste of time for others. I think it's understandable to study hard and not get an A, but if you're spending a lot of time studying and still having trouble passing exams than I would suggest talking to student services/academic support or your professors and trying out some new methods to learn the material.

Reactions: 3 users
Exactly 6.3 points lower. Not sure how you didn't know this already. Use search function next time plz

Reactions: 6 users
I would conclude that my methods of studying are not sufficient and try something else. The biggest hurdle that I had to overcome early first year was realizing that certain studying techniques were helpful for some classes and a complete waste of time for others. I think it's understandable to study hard and not get an A, but if you're spending a lot of time studying and still having trouble passing exams than I would suggest talking to student services/academic support or your professors and trying out some new methods to learn the material.
At least for me, I did very well on the written form of the exam but not as well on the practical for it. Which doesn't really make sense to me. I'd like to use Rohen's or Netter's but it seems like they have alot of unnecessary info that we never discussed in class. But then again I'm willing to try anything.

At least for me, I did very well on the written form of the exam but not as well on the practical for it. Which doesn't really make sense to me. I'd like to use Rohen's or Netter's but it seems like they have alot of unnecessary info that we never discussed in class. But then again I'm willing to try anything.
For practicals are you getting enough time in lab to look over structures?
Looking over structures on other bodies as well as yours?
Making at least 3-4 trips to the lab and nailing the lab lists each time?

I notice when I only do 1 or 2 lab visits outside of regular lab its not enough to get the grade I want.

3 or 4 visits and I'm around class average. This is with looking at different bodies and not leaving til I take a look at the same structures (that may look radically different) on our assigned body.

I also prefer written exams/open response like you and suck at multiple choice.

Hope this helps.

For practicals are you getting enough time in lab to look over structures?
Looking over structures on other bodies as well as yours?
Making at least 3-4 trips to the lab and nailing the lab lists each time?

I notice when I only do 1 or 2 lab visits outside of regular lab its not enough to get the grade I want.

3 or 4 visits and I'm around class average. This is with looking at different bodies and not leaving til I take a look at the same structures (that may look radically different) on our assigned body.

I also prefer written exams/open response like you and suck at multiple choice.

Hope this helps.

3 to 4 trips? I don't think anyone in my lab did that many and they still did very well.

We have lab once a week. I try to pre-read a bit before the lab and then try to dissect and identify as much as possible during the 4 hours. I also visit a few other lab tables and see the other bodies. I think the dissector, along with lecture ppts, and an atlas should be sufficient to know what we need to. I use the Rohen flashcards because the pics are from cadavers and do occasionally use a regular atlas like ones of netter or Thieme.
Besides the regular lab hours, my group and I try to visit the lab probably 2x before the exam and so far so good.

Since we're talking about anatomy, I'll post two sites that are great for both practical and lecture exams:

Curricula - BlueLink

The Body Online - Stony Brook University Department of Anatomy