Does this 4-credit Orgo Lab cover both lab requirements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lazymd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Knock knock bro, Corvallis doesn't run on a semester system.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't see how an online lab could possibly be useful. "Click the picture of the pipette and drag it to the picture of the beaker of 1.0 M HCL." And, do you have to wear closed-toe shoes, long pants, and eyewear while doing an online lab?

I was confused too, but you gotta read the fine print.

Chemistry 337 incorporates the sequence’s sole lab component and is offered only during Summer Session in two separate formats:
Session 5: fully on-site three week format
Session 3: blended online/on-site six week format. Weeks 1, 2, 5 and 6 are online. The lab component is administered through a mandatory two week on-site visit to the OSU campus during weeks 3 and 4.

What are you talking about?

They have quarters, so their credit assignments don't make any sense. 4 credits doesn't make it a double lab... well wait it's in the summer quarter so never mind what I just said; I thought it was covered in two quarters.

Soooo... Do you think that this lab covers both lab requirements? :confused:

You'll have to ask them. My school goes on the quarter system, but we only need one quarter of Orgo lab to cover the Orgo lab premed req.

I don't see how an online lab could possibly be useful. "Click the picture of the pipette and drag it to the picture of the beaker of 1.0 M HCL." And, do you have to wear closed-toe shoes, long pants, and eyewear while doing an online lab?

My lab professor checked and said that to every freaking student 4-5 times per lab period. Ugh.

Yeah, labs are supposed to be hands on learning.

Hands on learning? It's an undergrad chem lab. Who cares?

OP, it depends on what it says in your catalog. If that lab covers the concepts from both orgo i & ii, then I don't see a problem. Just make sure that it doesn't specify whether or not it was an online lab on your transcript and no one will know the difference.

Last edited:
I'm going to preface this with I do not know what OHSU's policy is, but a lot of schools do not count online pre-req courses as qualifying for pre-reqs. If you're an Oregon resident and plan on applying to OHSU, I would be willing to bet they are familiar with this course and its not going to slide by them if they do not take online credits.

If I were you, I would look into OHSU's policy if you're an Oregon resident and some of the other schools you plan to apply to cause if you take it, and then find out in September when you are applying that it does not count, you are going to have quite the scramble to get two orgo labs in by the time you are supposed to matriculate.

I think you're supposed to pour the chemicals into your computer and it goes through the internet.
It works best if poured on the heatsink/processor, cause it'll warm up the chemicals before it goes to the servers.