Does this chart indicate that acceptance ratio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FuturePharmD81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
For some reason I'm confused does the "application to enrollment ratio" on the following chart indicate that this is a ratio of acceptances? or a ratio of interviews? or over all how many people applied and how many choose to enroll?

I know this is a stupid question but its irking me that the chart does not have specific details. Thanks!

http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/admissions/Documents/Table 8.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

What it is saying is for every n number of applications submitted x number of applicants are admitted n:x. For example, the first one says 5.2:1. This means for every 5.2 applications received 1 applicant was admitted. Which is to say about a 20% acceptance rate.

What it is saying is for every n number of applications submitted x number of applicants are admitted n:x. For example, the first one says 5.2:1. This means for every 5.2 applications received 1 applicant was admitted. Which is to say about a 20% acceptance rate.

Not necessarily. It doesn't say anything about acceptance.

What about students who were accepted, but did not attend?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not necessarily. It doesn't say anything about acceptance.

What about students who were accepted, but did not attend?

But then you can also assume that the acceptance ratio is greater than the application to enrollment ratio.

A good estimation is that most schools will offer approximately 20% more acceptances than their enrollment.

Basing on the MWU-CPG stats that I know a bit more about, it appears that they're simply comparing the TOTAL PCAT applications received versus the size of the matriculating class.

It doesn't appear, at least for this school, that it accounts for how many students finish the supplemental / how many receive interviews / how many receive acceptances but go elsewhere.

Once you've narrowed down to a handful of schools, you might find the stats available on the PCAT site more helpful.

But then you can also assume that the acceptance ratio is greater than the application to enrollment ratio.

A good estimation is that most schools will offer approximately 20% more acceptances than their enrollment.

I always thought "the 20%" or so would go to a wait list.

I'm not sure if the 20% wait-list is standardized or not but at my college roughly 10% get on a wait-list that barely moves.

No. No school out there has a 100% acceptance to matriculation ratio. They all over-accept students knowing some students will be accepted to multiple schools and will choose to go elsewhere. The more competitive the school, the less overage they need. But 20% is a good estimate of the overage at most schools.

How each school handles their wait list is a different story altogether. Some schools have a separate waitlist in that if all the accepted candidates reply and there remain some vacancies, then the waitlist gets accepted in some order of their choosing. Some simply accept candidates and say when the class is full, its full with the remainder on the waitlist. Others have a hybrid of the two. Thats a school by school thing.