Does this count as a non-science faculty letter? (May have messed up lol... oops)

justwaking

2+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2017
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
I don't know WHY I am just now thinking of this, but basically I took a class with a professor who is in the Department of Psychology, and so I thought this could be okay as a non-science letter.

The course I took with him is cross-listed (for the purposes of simplicity, this just means that it's listed under two names/departments) under both psychology and biology. Would this still count as a non-science letter? Would schools generally be willing to be forgiving about this? The secondary is pretty bulky and I don't really want to donate a secondary fee to the school if I know before hand they're just going to auto-reject/refuse to complete my application beforehand.

One school I am currently writing a secondary for has a strict non-science faculty letter requirement and my only other non-science instructor letter was from a graduate student instructor (who taught the course, so there is no faculty member instructor affiliated with the course, only the faculty member that the course is listed under but otherwise has absolutely no engagement with the course).

This instructor took months to write my letter (as opposed to a few weeks at most for all other letter writers), and I'm almost certain it's weak since she waited so long to write it, seemed very pre-occupied with other things when she finally finished it, and on Interfolio I saw that it was only 1 page long (all my other letters were 2-3 pages long). With letterhead and a signature, 1 page is like 3/4s a page at the most and I don't think a strong letter can be mustered with 3/4s a page. TLDR: I don't want to use this letter because I'm like 95% confident it's a mediocre letter.

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Gold Donor
Vendor
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
Status
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
If you have a overwhelming sense that it's a week letter and that it may not even be in the right part of your application, just toss it if you can find a suitable alternative. The last thing you want to do is spend time worrying about a small detail like this. If you can't find anybody else, you might just have to let it ride with this one school and perhaps ask them first to make sure it qualifies.

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

candbgirl

Lifetime Donor
Gold Donor
15+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
I don't know WHY I am just now thinking of this, but basically I took a class with a professor who is in the Department of Psychology, and so I thought this could be okay as a non-science letter.

The course I took with him is cross-listed (for the purposes of simplicity, this just means that it's listed under two names/departments) under both psychology and biology. Would this still count as a non-science letter? Would schools generally be willing to be forgiving about this? The secondary is pretty bulky and I don't really want to donate a secondary fee to the school if I know before hand they're just going to auto-reject/refuse to complete my application beforehand.

One school I am currently writing a secondary for has a strict non-science faculty letter requirement and my only other non-science instructor letter was from a graduate student instructor (who taught the course, so there is no faculty member instructor affiliated with the course, only the faculty member that the course is listed under but otherwise has absolutely no engagement with the course).

This instructor took months to write my letter (as opposed to a few weeks at most for all other letter writers), and I'm almost certain it's weak since she waited so long to write it, seemed very pre-occupied with other things when she finally finished it, and on Interfolio I saw that it was only 1 page long (all my other letters were 2-3 pages long). With letterhead and a signature, 1 page is like 3/4s a page at the most and I don't think a strong letter can be mustered with 3/4s a page. TLDR: I don't want to use this letter because I'm like 95% confident it's a mediocre letter.

This whole post is really confusing! Do you have issues with two letters: one sort of a science letter and one weak non science letter? Or is it the same letter?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads