Does this count as clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soniale

Reaction score
So I applied to be a volunteer at a clinic but they're full right now so I'm currently a receptionist. I help those who walk in or call with appointments and paperwork and I get to interact with some doctors as well. I'm looking to gain more clinical experience and I was wondering if this fits the requirements?
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

So I applied to be a volunteer at a clinic but they're full right now so I'm currently a receptionist. I help those who walk in or call with appointments and paperwork and I get to interact with some doctors as well. I'm looking to gain more clinical experience and I was wondering if this fits the requirements?
Thank you!
You are interacting with current patients in a clinical setting. It is a clinical experience for med school application purposes (and far more pertinent than than cleaning beds and stocking cupboards in an ED, IMO).

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you!

I think so! I worked at the back desk at a clinic for a while before moving to being a MA and it was a great experience to see what goes on behind the scenes of a practice. I did things like call insurance companies, get prior authorizations, schedule surgeries/appointments and all the lovely back and forth phone tag that goes along with it. Made me realize how much goes into healthcare, how inefficient/frustrating it is at times, and the fact that I still wanted to do it after all of that meant I really loved medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP is a newbie. And yes, sarcasm does not travel well through the electrons and I've actually gotten PMs about sniffing the patients while bringing them water and snacks.
o_O I just want to make it clear to those who aren't familiar with our brand of humor.

Reactions: 1 users
Remember, it is only clinical experience if you sniff the patients.
I always think of this definition whenever a patient vomits while I’m transporting them and that beautiful smell hits my nostrils. Delicious

I always think of this definition whenever a patient vomits while I’m transporting them and that beautiful smell hits my nostrils. Delicious
My most memorable experience:
Me - “Sir, I’m here to draw your blood for some lab tests.”
Patient - “Well I got a being for you right here!” *whips up his gown, flails his genitals while urinating everywhere*

I just had the nurses draw him. Their actions and their smells are part of why we love patients.

Edit: Don’t talk about anything like this anywhere in any application or interview. Patients can be silly...we all know that, no one wants these stories in a professional setting

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
It’s not clinical or worthwhile. Find another gig.

Reactions: 1 user