does this count as leadership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orangeblossom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
in college I was part of a religious organization, and for about 2 years I was a "small group" leader. my small group was composed of 12-14 freshman girls (there were also a few sophomores). we met once a week, sometimes more frequently, to do bible study and fellowship. besides bible study, i was also a mentor. i offered advice about handling stress, schoolwork, dealing with boys, choosing career paths, etc. (a "big sister" position)

for some reason i feel weird labeling this as a leadership position, i think partly because (1) its religious, and i often feel uneasy about talking of religious things on any application (never know who's reading it), and (2) religion is currently no longer part of my life (but i see no reason i should disclose to schools?... they can't ask me about my spiritual life, can they?), and (3) even if i were still religious, its a humility thing. it's odd to think i was a [spiritual] leader for these girls. not because i don't think i did a good job. i dont know how else to explain it. :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I'd write about it.

They can ask you whatever they want. They just wont ask many things out of the blue.

Was the "Official" title called small group leader? If you felt as if it helped you build character and made you a better leader(which I'm sure it did) then you should mention it. Whether you still consider yourself part of the religion or not is besides the fact, what is more important is what you learned from it that made you a better human being, or in the pre-med society: "better applicant".

Members don't see this ad :)
You said yourself that you did more than just preach the bible to these girls. It sounds like you were a mentor figure (big sister) to them. I would consider that a leadership position because you helped guide these girls to better all aspects of their lives, not just reinforce their religious views, and helped them try to understand the confusing time that is being a young person. With proper wording in your resume (ps or whatever) you could really use that experience to your benefit while leaving out the religious part of it.