Does this my answer to the question What is the greatest challenge you overcame makes sense?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iwillmakesuretopass

Reaction score
The greatest challenge I overcame was helping one of my students build confidence and overcome her self-doubt to achieve her goals. When I was a tutor at .....college, an elderly lady came to me who needed help with chemistry. Moreover, she didn't know how to use a computer and she felt as if she is not capable to learn chemistry and computer. As a result, she couldn't complete her homework, watch assigned videos and do other assignments I explained to her that she is fully capable and I tried to help her academically but i couldn't help her much in learning computers because we were only allowed to help academically and there were other students who needed help. Communicating very effectively and being very patient I tried to explain the problem. Also, I could empathize and see how I would feel if I was in her place so, I gave her my schedule so when I was free I can teach her how to use a computer. For academic help, she can come to me or any tutor at the tutoring. Moreover, I researched programs and found local libraries gave computer lessons. I recommended she explore that. Slowly she learned how to use a computer and she also improved academically and got a B+ in her class. In addition, she trusted her abilities now and she wanted to pursue chemistry as a major.

Do you think it shows how I overcame a challenge or is it more like your greatest achievement?

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds more like it is the “senior “ citizen that overcome the challenge.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds more like it is the “senior “ citizen that overcome the challenge.
Thanks for the reply.

Now, that you put it this way. I I was thinking about something along these lines.

When I worked for a small construction company, I was asked to bring down the expenses because of budget cut due to corona. Since most of the expenses were already cut down and there was very little left to do it was very challenging. However, after carefully analyzing the spending I realized that the workers would send someone for supplies during the workday if they ran out which led to a waste of productive work hours. To counter this, I made a bi-weekly routine where I would go and check the supply levels and stock them up and this helped to make workdays more productive. Also, if there were supplies left on one site I would bring those to another which helped to bring down money spent on supplies significantly. Also, I implemented this method of grouping where we would try to prepare different sites for let's say plumbing work so when plumber (electrician etc) comes we could get different sites done in one day rather than calling them again and again which added up to increase expenses. So, this is how i brought down the expenses and overcame a challenge.

Thanks for the reply.

Now, that you put it this way. I I was thinking about something along these lines.

When I worked for a small construction company, I was asked to bring down the expenses because of budget cut due to corona. Since most of the expenses were already cut down and there was very little left to do it was very challenging. However, after carefully analyzing the spending I realized that the workers would send someone for supplies during the workday if they ran out which led to a waste of productive work hours. To counter this, I made a bi-weekly routine where I would go and check the supply levels and stock them up and this helped to make workdays more productive. Also, if there were supplies left on one site I would bring those to another which helped to bring down money spent on supplies significantly. Also, I implemented this method of grouping where we would try to prepare different sites for let's say plumbing work so when plumber (electrician etc) comes we could get different sites done in one day rather than calling them again and again which added up to increase expenses. So, this is how i brought down the expenses and overcame a challenge.
I think you're kind of missing the point about the greatest challenge you've over come. Let me use dental school as an example. I could mention physiology and how there were hundreds of PowerPoint slides that I was being tested over every week. However, they would rather hear my emotional struggle with physiology and the self doubts I had to overcome. Telling them about my fears and worries and how I overcame them is better than how much studying I had to do to pass the class. I hope the example helps.