Does this seem legitimate

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fides

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting a gaming youtube channel, and donating all the funds to a charity? Legitimacy in regards to putting it on a application, keep in mind sub-par GPA, will this seem apropriate? Since they might relate a focus on gaming (youtube channel, editing and rendering videso etc) as the reason why grades were low etc

Members don't see this ad.

Starting a gaming youtube channel, and donating all the funds to a charity? Legitimacy in regards to putting it on a application, keep in mind sub-par GPA, will this seem apropriate? Since they might relate a focus on gaming (youtube channel, editing and rendering videso etc) as the reason why grades were low etc

Well, was it part of the reason why your grades are low?

I think it's worthwhile to mention that you have this channel and that you make money off of it that goes to charity, but I think it's a poor excuse for a low GPA (depends on what you mean by low too).

Applicants are expected to do extracurriculars and keep their grades up. It's not like you had an illness or an accident. You just spent too much time on one thing and not enough on studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, was it part of the reason why your grades are low?

hmmm I guess you could say that but even if I dont game sometimes my grades have dropped in the fast, while other times I would be gaming and my grades would be fine. Its a factor but how significant I dont know. Its more to do with self-control IMO.

I wouldn't use it as an excuse, but definitely would include it as an EC. I know a couple people who has donated thousands in charity causes, but not 100% sure of the legitimacy.

Yeah, depending on how big the channel became and how much money you raised for charity you can definitely include it. Being able to tie it to something you learned about yourself or something you gained personally from it would be even better.

Donating money to charity =! EC. Raising money for charity = EC. Subtle, but distinct difference.

Well he did say he donates all of the funds to charity so one could argue that he only runs the channel to raise money for charity. I think?

with the appropriate amount of bull**** layered onto it, you might have a gem on your hands.

An interesting idea, but I don't think adcoms will look at that and say to themselves, "Wow! This guy is amazing!"

Do it if you would enjoy having a gaming channel on youtube. Don't do it just so you can list it with your other ECs.

Are you thinking of starting one? Or have you already started one? If you're trying to start one, bad idea. The YouTube market is already very saturated with gaming channels. So unless you can come up with truly unique content it's not worth it at this point.

Are you thinking of starting one? Or have you already started one? If you're trying to start one, bad idea. The YouTube market is already very saturated with gaming channels. So unless you can come up with truly unique content it's not worth it at this point.

Well it doe say "starting" but thanks to the guys for the responses, frankly I can spend my time much more proficently than gaming. Decided to scrap the idea of creating a YT channel for gaming, but still am going to raise money for charity someway. Thanks.