Does this sound like a good plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrePT1008

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone! Glad I found this forum because I have a few questions. I'm a junior looking to apply to PT school for the upcoming cycle, and I just want to make sure I'm where I should be with everything. I go to a small private college and only know a couple others interested in PT, so I'm not exactly sure where I stand on everything.

First of all, hours - I have 25 inpatient acute/hospital hours and 120 outpatient ortho hours. My GPA is 3.9 with the only prereqs left being physics I and II. Should I try to get a 3rd setting in and more hours this summer, or am I ok with what I have?

Secondly, GRE/applying - I originally hoped to get the GRE out of the way in May, but I have such a busy schedule this semester that I'm struggling to find time to start studying along with my other classes. Looking at the forums and other places online, it seems like 2 months of studying is ideal. I'm done with finals by the beginning of May, so here's what I was thinking: study May and June, take the test at the end of June, and have my application completely submitted before I start senior year mid-August. I'm really hoping my first score will be good enough, but if it's not, I figured I could retake it again in July if I needed to. Does this seem reasonable?

Thanks guys! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I think this sounds like a perfect plan! You are doing exactly what I did in taking the GRE at the end of the summer. I ended up taking it twice, so don't even worry about it if you feel you need to.

As far as hours go in different settings, I would try for at least one more setting. It also depends on the school. Some schools I looked into require a certain number of hours in different settings to even count in your application, while other schools look at the range of your observation hours more closely. It would never hurt to get more settings! However, if you are struggling with time and concentrating on school work I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You will be able to strengthen your application with great LORs and personal essays, as well as your resume and outside activities. Your GPA looks fantastic! I think you are going to be just fine. :)

Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with what everybody else has posted! Your GPA is solid and you already have a good amount of hours. A third setting would be great, but if not thats great too, the schools I applied to look for more than one. Get some solid LORs and rock the GRE and you should be fine! Good luck!

LOL WOW. I was in your position last summer. I had about the same amount of hours and my GPA was about the same before I applied. I also took the GRE in the summer and Physics I and 2 are my last pre req. I shadowed a 100 outpatient and about 50 inpatient. I couldn't find a third place. I think its a solid plan because I did the same thing and I got into 2 schools :cool:. :D