1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

"Does this support the author's argument?"

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by fallingwater, Aug 12, 2011.

1. fallingwater

Pre-Medical
    I find some of the most obtuse VR questions to be the ones that provide a statement, assumption, or scenario, and ask if it supports/weakens/confirms the author's argument, or does not affect it.

But is it just me, or is the correct answer to this type of question almost always "does not affect it"?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Just you.

Those questions require the reader to understand the author's thesis well enough to determine how new evidence affects it. So it's a "main idea" question. IMO, this is a good question type to measure critical reading skills.

I think "doesn't affect it" has an equal chance of being the right answer...

#2 paul411, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  4. MCATBUSTER

Please remember if it is a paraphrase of what the author said then logically it doesn't it affect the argument because he/she already presented it as a point. And again, any answer choice is equally likely to be true depending on the context. However, I took the MCAT on July 16th and I believe I didn't have a question type like this on my test or if I did it should be just one question. It appears to be an uncommon type of question. On the contrary EK has alot of this type of question and it might be the reason why EK is harder than the real one.

5. mitchlucker

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    For EK I think it's a little more common, but as for the real thing I don't think I'd assume that.

Usually I just think if I made an entire paragraph about the statement and put it in the author's essay, what would happen? Those questions are usually pretty easy unless you get a seriously abstract passage.