Does TPRSW get harder as you go on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just started and have done a handful of the bio passages and so far they've been really easy. Is this like the AAMC SA where it gets harder??? If its not like the SA and remains the same difficulty should I just do less practice in this subject??

Members don't see this ad.

No. The passages are (generally) in order of topics as presented in their content books.

The final passages at the end of each topic (the "Advanced" ones) are harder though.

Are these passages representative of the real MCAT? I've done a few dozen passages from bio and gchem and they seem really easy to me. I've also done passages from the official guide 3 and I feel like TPRSW passages are nothing like the OG3. The OG3 destroyd me. Is the OG3 not as representative of the typical mcat passages? I've heard some people say this. I've also heard people say TPRSW is spot on though, bio especially. But so far, i feel like a lot of questions have absolute ridiculous throw away answers that make it easier too.

Last edited:
@csx

Official guide questions are harder. I think they are a bit harder than AAMC FLs.

TPRSW is pretty close in difficulty with both. It's not a huge difference. I averaged about the same % on all three (probably slightly lower in the official guide).

AAMC FLs have some throwaway answers. The real test probably has fewer.

Members don't see this ad :)
@csx

Official guide questions are harder. I think they are a bit harder than AAMC FLs.

TPRSW is pretty close in difficulty with both. It's not a huge difference. I averaged about the same % on all three (probably slightly lower in the official guide).

AAMC FLs have some throwaway answers. The real test probably has fewer.
What about the physics and orgo in tprsw??

@csx

In terms of difficulty for both, about the same. I feel like the AAMC discretes I've done are maybe easier than the TPRSW discretes.

The advanced passages are harder than the average AAMC question.

@csx

In terms of difficulty for both, about the same. I feel like the AAMC discretes I've done are maybe easier than the TPRSW discretes.

The advanced passages are harder than the average AAMC question.
interesting haha. The AAMC OG discretes, while i did fairly well (~70-80% correct), i thought they were way harder than the TPRSW I've done so far!

@csx

Now that I think about it, I probably averaged less on TPRSW than I do on AAMC FLs. Part of that, however, is my (lack of) attention when doing TPRSW. On the AAMC FLs, I'm 100% focused.

The Organic Official guide questions....omg...I think I averaged like 30% below my AAMC average lol.

Most of the science workbook passages are totally non-representative of a real AAMC passage. But that is not the purpose of the passages. They test individual concepts in passage format. You will never get a real MCAT passage where every single question is about different radioactive decay products...

In the same vein as @Marleywh I agree that the point of TPRSW is not to produce a perfect reflection of the AAMC passages. That is why you take (or should take) all the AAMCs PTs. TPRSW is good practice however because of the level of difficulty of it's problems (which is, for the most part, reflective of the difficulty you'll see on the MCAT). Practicing extensively with TPRSW will help you.

Does the difficulty increase as you progress through the book? Not purposefully, but keep in mind some topics may be inherently more or less difficult than others.
Cheers!!