Does VMCAS utilize +/- grades when calculating GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ferral

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering.... AMCAS drops the + and - off of your grades when calculating your GPA for applications. Is vet med the same?
(i.e. A-= A and B+= B)

Just something on my mind during finals week ;)

Members don't see this ad.

as far as i know, VMCAS asks YOU to calculate your own GPA and enter it and then just enter all your grades from every course you've ever taken. Then they hand it over to the individual vet schools to make their own calculations based on their own formulas. I had grades like AB and BC in my GPA so i probably would have blown up the VMCAS machine with all that junk. Cornell told me to leave those fields blank on my suppl. appl. and that they would fill them in themselves. In short, i don't think the VMCAS system calculates a GPA for you, but vet schools do and have their own ways about going about it.

Ive got a question. Im taking the GRE tomorrow, I've really focused on Math and verbal but not on writing. How much do vet schools look at the writing score?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it depends on the school. One or two of them don't even ask you to report the writing score.

That said, the key to the GRE essays is to look for the logical fallacy in the argument put forth. If you can write persuasively about why the argument is illogical, you'll do fine. Also, be aware of time. Take 5 minutes to think about it, 5 minutes to outline, and then write.

I hope you get a good night's sleep, a good breakfast, and then relax into it.

Some schools average your percentile rankings for all three sections, which gives equal weight to each section.