Does your school make you teach a residency prep course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marsupial

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at our school, they have a two week long course filled with required talks on moonlighting, residency survival, professionalism, financies, step 3, etc. Sounds great right? WRONG! those lazy asses are making the FOURTH YEARS, busy with rank lists and rotations, get into groups and TEACH those classes! it's inane...especially considering they could just use the Powerpoints from the previous year and have one of the teaching faculty actually TEACH us instead of making us burn the midnight oil reinventing the wheel to put these talks together. Do you guys have to do anything similar?

Members don't see this ad.

Pars Plana said:
So at our school, they have a two week long course filled with required talks on moonlighting, residency survival, professionalism, financies, step 3, etc. Sounds great right? WRONG! those lazy asses are making the FOURTH YEARS, busy with rank lists and rotations, get into groups and TEACH those classes! it's inane...especially considering they could just use the Powerpoints from the previous year and have one of the teaching faculty actually TEACH us instead of making us burn the midnight oil reinventing the wheel to put these talks together. Do you guys have to do anything similar?

No...but the big question is HOW are 4th year STUDENTS expected to know how to teach a residency survival course? Since you haven't been residents all your information would be that gleaned from books that anyone could read, rather than experiential info. SOUnds a bit strange to me.

Kimberli Cox said:
No...but the big question is HOW are 4th year STUDENTS expected to know how to teach a residency survival course? Since you haven't been residents all your information would be that gleaned from books that anyone could read, rather than experiential info. SOUnds a bit strange to me.

EXACTLY. We have to grab stuff off the Web or books.

We have 3 weeks of similar lectures, as well, but I'm pretty sure they're given by faculty.

Pars Plana - what school do you go to? that is probably the most ******ed decision made by med school administration ever. and trust me, my school is guilty of making us do ******ed things during our years as a med student as well...

Kimberli Cox said:
My thoughts exactly! Seems like residents would be the best people to teach that...though they are clearly too busy to spend 2 weeks doing it.

Pars Plana said:

Umm--so MAYBE the point is for YOU to be doing a little bit of research into these issues, so that you know it well enough to teach others? To say nothing of your knowing it well enough to be ready to actually BE a resident?

OOh I'm SOO busy...I'm a FOURTH YEAR...putting in my time and waiting for the match...COME ON. The hard part is already over for you--it's the LEAST you can do to pass on some of your "wisdom" to those who will be YOUR interns in 2 years! :rolleyes:

OldPsychDoc said:
Umm--so MAYBE the point is for YOU to be doing a little bit of research into these issues, so that you know it well enough to teach others? To say nothing of your knowing it well enough to be ready to actually BE a resident?

OOh I'm SOO busy...I'm a FOURTH YEAR...putting in my time and waiting for the match...COME ON. The hard part is already over for you--it's the LEAST you can do to pass on some of your "wisdom" to those who will be YOUR interns in 2 years! :rolleyes:

I don't think the issue it the time factor but rather the fact that one really can't know what residency is like simply gleaning the "facts" from a book. To have medical students teaching a course on residency survival seems a bit ineffective to me. There are lots of things the books don't tell you which an actual resident would have some insight into.

Having 4th year students teach a course on how to apply to the match, interviewing, etc. makes sense but not a course on residency, IMHO.

Have to agree with Kimberly. You can't teach about what you haven't experienced.

It would be very approprate for you to teach in clinical skills class, or talk about the match process, or even a how to survive in the clincal rotations. We did that at our mecial school and it was quite fun.