Does your school pay for rotations??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jboogie

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Either by paying preceptors, paying sites, giving large gifts or equipment? Or does anyone know where I can get this kind of information?

Members don't see this ad.

jboogie said:
Either by paying preceptors, paying sites, giving large gifts or equipment? Or does anyone know where I can get this kind of information?

No - when I was a preceptor for an ICU rotation at our community hospital, I was not paid nor was the hospital paid. We also had an OR rotation & again, no payment was made. I made one trip per quarter to the university (about 25 miles from our hospital), but most everything was done by phone, email or US mail.

No gifts are ever made to the hospital either. There is no reimbursment for an undergraduate rotation experience.

It is different with a residency position. Part of that is federally funded, so there is payment to the hospital which goes to defray the payment of the resident who also has some dispensing functions.

However, pharmacy students are not unsupervised & in a teaching setting (or at least should be) so there is no compensation for work being done.

Members don't see this ad :)
We get paid $150 per student per rotation from a particular Texas Pharmacy School.

ZpackSux said:
We get paid $150 per student per rotation from a particular Texas Pharmacy School.

Does that go toward the Christmas party fund?

sdn1977 said:
Does that go toward the Christmas party fund?

No, it goes to pharmacy revenue...but adminstration is good about spending money to show appreciation for my staff.

jboogie said:

The technical term for payment is called "honorarium". Give the current shortage for preceptors in so many areas, quite a few schools have some system set up. Either the honorarium goes directly to the preceptor or to the pharamcy dept as described by Zpack. The range in honorarium, method of payment, and to whom varies amongst each school. The only way one would find out about the specifics and/or comparing one school to another would be to become appointed to preceptor status and/or know someone who actively precepts students. Beyond that, honorarium isn't discussed often in a "public setting". Honorarium is likely to continue as by next yr I think there will be ~100 pharmacy schools and nearly not enough preceptors for all of those pharmacy students.

WVU pays money, but I have no idea concerning the amount. I doubt it is more than whatever tuition divided by 11 rotations comes out to. Nothing like paying money to be an employee. Grrr...

Its school dependent

and you wont see it anywhere.... its just talked about on rotations.

I believe that UF pays $300 per student to the institution. I'm not sure where I read that, but I saw it somewhere. As for the students, we get to pay full tuition to work at rotation sites.

I had a rotation at a small independent pharmacy and spent a few hours with the accountant going over how to manage the finances. I did see Ohio Northern University pays $500/rotation for their students and Ohio State pays $350/student on rotation. Ohio Northern is located in rural area while Ohio State is located in a big city, which may explain the difference in pay for each rotation site.

Well, this is an old thread. As a preceptor for UF, they are no longer paying honorarium for students. But a previous poster was correct in that they used to pay $300 per student per month for rotations. After state budget cuts this is no longer the case.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, this is an old thread. As a preceptor for UF, they are no longer paying honorarium for students. But a previous poster was correct in that they used to pay $300 per student per month for rotations. After state budget cuts this is no longer the case.
They are actually back to paying a nominal fee from what the new dean told us at our campus meeting last semester.

My alma mater doesn't even pay students who get stuck at distant sites. You may be in Oklahoma City, get selected for Tahlequah, and you're responsible for your own housing and travel.

My folks were under the false impression that I would get paid as a student during my fourth year on rotations. Took me a year or two to convince them otherwise. Man how I wish that was true though!

As a student having only had two rotations in my first three years - but also staring down fourth year rotations here in a few months, I want to say a big thank you to the folks who graciously precept out there. I have always felt that y'all got the short end of the stick, seeing as how I'm paying my college tens of thousands of dollars to be taught by you during my fourth year, and you guys see approximately $0.00 of that money. It may be one of the greatest pyramid schemes ever invented, but it really does mean a lot that you guys take the additional time and hassle to educate a newbie like me!

Not sure where you can get it other than your Pharm ADMIN, but I've heard that my school pays $500/student/rotation to the site. I've heard that private schools in my area (Ohio) pay upwards of $1000/student/rotation, but I'm not sure. Info comes from other students, and from preceptors that repeatedly remind me that I'm paying them to work for free. And I'm sure that our APPE coordinator mentioned that the school pays sites to take us during one of our initial rotation meetings.

We have a Clerkship fee on top of other tuition and fees that most likely goes to pay this to sites. If memory serves, I think the fee is like $4000 for the year (8 rotations x $500 would seem to make sense).

Didn't even realize this thread was from '06...:zombie:

We had so many schools requesting to send APPE students to us (I can think of 10 off the top of my head and I'm probably forgetting a couple) that we stopped taking students from programs not providing some sort of payment to the site.

The going rate seems to be about $500/5 week rotation and this goes into our Pharmacy education fund.

We had so many schools requesting to send APPE students to us (I can think of 10 off the top of my head and I'm probably forgetting a couple) that we stopped taking students from programs not providing some sort of payment to the site.

The going rate seems to be about $500/5 week rotation and this goes into our Pharmacy education fund.

Established schools don't want to pay for rotation sites so their students are locked out of quality sites. Isn't that ironic? You worked hard during undergrad so you can get into a quality pharmacy school but then you get the left over rotation sites.

These new schools are willing to pay top dollars for sites because their accreditation depends on it. I heard from a friend that new schools are willing to pay 1-2 k per student (acute care, medicine, etc).

These sites that are taking students just for the money. What kind of education are they providing?

Last edited:
Established schools don't want to pay for rotation sites so their students are locked out of quality sites.

Established schools ARE paying and we continue to precept their students. The real problem is finding quality sites for APPE rotations for so many students! The schools want to send us more and more students but we can only take so many at once. We still have our patients to take care of and students take additional time.

Reactions: 1 users
I believe NSU pays around $300-500 per student, if I'm not mistaking.

They are actually back to paying a nominal fee from what the new dean told us at our campus meeting last semester.
What!??? Well good thing I'm moving to major metro and will likely get 1-2 students per month.

Reactions: 1 user
like omnipharmd said, most likely a result of increase demand (more pharmacy students) and not enough supply (no increases on rotation sites) = more schools are offering $$$ to take their students.