Does your score actually improve, and if so, by how much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zut212

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Suppose that you take ~10 practice exams, and you're constantly studying for the MCAT. Would your score increase on the practice exams? If so, by how much?

I believe that the two most improvable sections are BS and PS, but not VR.

Members don't see this ad.

Suppose that you take ~10 practice exams, and you're constantly studying for the MCAT. Would your score increase on the practice exams? If so, by how much?

I believe that the two most improvable sections are BS and PS, but not VR.
By studying, I hope you mean you're looking at ways to improve the way you attack passages/questions. After a certain point, reviewing material becomes low-yield. You should spend a lot of time after each practice exam going over the correct answers and, more importantly (in my opinion), going over whether you went through the "most correct" (and efficient) thought processes to reach the answer.

I personally didn't see any improvement in my practice exams, but that's because I started off with a really high score and then, maintained a high average throughout. You'll likely see some fluctuations, but I feel like you should generally be within a few points of each of your scores since you're probably done with content review by this point and are just making the way you attack passages more efficient.

From the first MCAT I took (with no prep) throughout my studying, my practice tests scores went up about 6/7 points. But Kaushik is right, if you start with a high score, you probably won't see tons of improvement. But a lot of times people's low scores at the beginning are just not remembering the material once you refresh it all through content review, your score should be going up.