Dog's anal glands?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

toofache32

Full Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I took my 2 labs to get washed, groomed, etc. and they also "expressed their anal glands". Can anyone tell me how they do that and why it's important?
 
toofache32 said:
I took my 2 labs to get washed, groomed, etc. and they also "expressed their anal glands". Can anyone tell me how they do that and why it's important?

The anal glands are a pair of sacks between the internal and external anal sphincters located at the mucocutaneous juction of the anus in carnivores. They are lined with large sebaceous and apocrine glands. The secretions smell bad and are expelled in small quantities with defecation, as a form of territorial marking , or fear. The sacs are subject to hypersecretion, ductal blockage, impaction and abscess formation which may lead to the necessity of surgical removal. When you see your dog "scooting" it usually means the glands need to be expression.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Heh - a vet I knew always showed owners how to do it themselves, but they usually just looked at him like he was nuts. One man told him, "Sorry, but my dog and I could never look at each other the same way again."
 
haha. I see my Mom's dog doing that "scoot" all the time. She also actually helps him secrete his glands as well...ick. I have a question. My cat scoots also....is it the same thing in cats as well??
 
medtechv79 said:
haha. I see my Mom's dog doing that "scoot" all the time. She also actually helps him secrete his glands as well...ick. I have a question. My cat scoots also....is it the same thing in cats as well??
yes but you stay external everytime you express a cats anal glands