Doing a GPR/AEGD 1yr post grad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meisterluv

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating doing a GPR/AEGD after spending 1year in a community clinic. Was wondering if anyone has done this and if doing so would it /did it make you a more competitive applicant. I did not have too many ECs in dental school and was in the top 50% of my class (far as i know). I would like to attend an implant/surgery heavy residency so I imagine the competition to be fierce. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

VA's are heavy in implant/surgeries. Alternatively if you go to an alternative program that is not a VA, don't go to a program with an OMFS/Perio/Pros program on site because they will get all the implants/fight for them and you won't be placing them.

Reactions: 1 user
VA's are heavy in implant/surgeries. Alternatively if you go to an alternative program that is not a VA, don't go to a program with an OMFS/Perio/Pros program on site because they will get all the implants/fight for them and you won't be placing them.
In general this is true, but it is not as cut and dry as this. There are VA programs that don't place many implants and there are university programs with perio and omfs residencies that place a lot of implants. Really just comes down to doing research and figuring out what you're looking for in a program.