Doing all 3rd year rotations at one location? Or move around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

droshan

Waitlist King!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if you have the option of doing all your rotations at one hospital for your entire 3rd year and 4th mandatory rotations, would you? Forget the fact that you have an SO or anything like that. Experience-wise, which is better..all in one hospital or moving around? Why?

Members don't see this ad.

I think it'd be cool to move around, if for nothing else, then to just see another way a hospital does things. Other than the ER, I don't have much hospital experience, and I'm sure they all do things differently. Plus, if you go out of the same city, it's a different location with different types of people which is also cool and a broadening experience :)

So if you have the option of doing all your rotations at one hospital for your entire 3rd year and 4th mandatory rotations, would you? Forget the fact that you have an SO or anything like that. Experience-wise, which is better..all in one hospital or moving around? Why?

I think even the schools that have their own hospitals have rotations in other local hospitals that they have affiliations with (someone correct me if i'm wrong)... I met a 3rd year USC student at a hospital in Pasadena, which is not the County hospital that is right next to the USC campus. Most will be in relatively close distance so its not like youll be moving around looking for housing in a different part of the state every few months. I will be happy to rotate throughout different hospitals (and I know I will), but I dont want to have to literally pack up my things and move around, thats just a pain in the ass.

I think even the schools that have their own hospitals have rotations in other local hospitals that they have affiliations with (someone correct me if i'm wrong)... I met a 3rd year USC student at a hospital in Pasadena, which is not the County hospital that is right next to the USC campus. Most will be in relatively close distance so its not like youll be moving around looking for housing in a different part of the state every few months. I will be happy to rotate throughout different hospitals (and I know I will), but I dont want to have to literally pack up my things and move around, thats just a pain in the ass.

That's exactly what I'm worried about...the school mentions rotations in Penn and NJ (which isn't far either but still). But it does feel nice to get the hang of a hospital, knowing your way around and stuff. I suppose after a rotation you would anyways. But you'll still have the opportunity to move around during your elective rotations your 4th year. Thanks for the input, I'll have to put some thought into this one.