Doing anesthesia rotations third year and sites...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted9493

Hey all,

I have 'out time' at the end of my third year (July and August) and am wondering whether or not programs will take a student who is not quite a 4th year. Does anybody know? I'll have done the 2 weeks of anesthesia that is part of our program's requirement.

My aims in looking into rotations are being able to see and do a lot and having the opportunity to get to know some attendings who love anesthesia. I've done a search and people have spoken well of Vanderbilt and UTSW and I remember VentDependent speaking highly of a program in the Northwest.

-Any new recommendations on programs?
-Is it difficult to get to know attendings in some of the bigger programs for letters of reference?
-I have July and August free to do out rotations. If I do one in anesthesia, any recommendations for the other?

Thanks for any advice that you guys have to offer. I definitely want to make good use of my elective months, as this specialty decision is no small choice.

Members don't see this ad.

most people are 4th years by that time. I'd just apply like you're a 4th year- if all of your 3rd year clerkships are completed, then you really are...

I did a rotation at Mayo Rochester and enjoyed it. You might not get to know the attendings very well there. The residents do most of the teaching which is great. An ICU rotation is always good, and will prepare you for residency.

whether or not programs will take a student who is not quite a 4th year.

YES. Kind of. I did an away rotation in June (technically the last month of 3rd year). In my case, the program stated that they allow fourth year students. This means they need your medical school to declare you're a fourth year student. I asked the school's coordinator about this and she smiled and said, "Actually, our year starts in July, not June. But it's not a problem, I'll just write that you have completed your third year and you are a fourth year student." So I submitted the papers and got the rotation. When I introduced myself at the rotation, I said I was starting my fourth year (which was pretty much true, anyway).