Doing away rotation in November?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thetoddJR

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
The program that I really want to go to has offered a spot end of october thru mid november. Is this a bad idea, as this is when interviews typically occur.

Would it be bad to do an interview while on an away?

From speaking to people at this program, they typically take their home students and rotators

Members don't see this ad.

I did exactly what you're talking about - away rotation through mid November and was fine. Was able to still get most of my interviews done in early December/early January. I took a day off to get to an interview elsewhere (similar geographic region) and it wasn't a big deal at all.

If this is a program you really want to go to, visibility on an away rotation is a good thing (I know there are differing opinions on this forum, but I strongly believe my away rotation was a big factor in why I matched at my top choice).

Just carry your phone with you, set it to vibrate w/ push email notifications and religiously check it when you're on break, not in cases, etc. to make sure you quickly respond to interview invites to get first shot at dates. If you have to hop off and do an interview during your away rotation it's not ideal, but I would just be honest with the program and say you tried to get a different interview date, would love to stick around with said program if they'd have you but ultimately have to successfully match. I have a hard time believing anyone would really give you grief for that.

Just make sure you read up on your cases, show up early and have Baby Miller (or insert favorite intro anesthesia book here) and make sure attendings/residents KNOW who you are and how awesome you are to work with. Rest should fall into place. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Doing an away in November is fine.

It might just work out even more in your favor if you have to be excused to go to another rival program to interview. The place where you're doing a visiting clerkship might view it as another chance to compete with their competitor. Sounds strange but I've seen it.

Also, write down a list of a few people you'd like to meet when you're doing an away. Maybe the PD, residents/faculty from your med school, faculty with a particular mutual interest and some people who have more power when it comes to ranking than you'd predict (you'll likely only find who these people are when you're at the program). Then go to their CV and look at some research or programs they have done. That way when you see them in the hallway you'll mention it and be much more memorable and genuine.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user