Doing international electives

Started by beachdude
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

beachdude

Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, i posted this msg in the allopathic forum, but i think it'd also could be placed here:

Im a med student from Ontario and am going into my second yr of med school where we got electives (which im sure all you down south have too and I'd like to do one of my electives overseas...

do you guys have any suggestions as to where i can find more info on international electives, particularly in Denmark, Sweden, or the UK? I've looked all over the net and cant find a darn tootin' thing

thanx!
 
Whenever I feel the need to be overwhelmed by international electives, I check out this site. You can also do a search on any search engine and find a ton of electives that way. The AMSA page has electives in the UK and Sweden, but I don't know about Denmark.

http://www.amsa.org/global/ih/intlintro.cfm

Cheers.
 
Hi,

If you're interested in coming to London GKT has an elective program, the details of which can be foundhere .

The Medics Travel website might be useful as well, it's not only got a list of UK medical schools and hospitals (plus links) but other places around the world too.

Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey thanks for the links their very helpful...

Im especially interested in doing some of my electives in the UK....its an awesome country and I wouldnt mind practicing medicine their......that being said, i decided to get my MD in Canada, because my family is here and I'd like to practice here too and if your not from a Canadian med school with a canadian residency, its bloody hard to practice in this country......in short, i'm hoping to be able to practice in both Canada and the UK...

Do you by any chance know what the process is, and what potential obsticles there are if I was a Canadian medical graduate and wanted to practice medicine in the UK?

thanks!!!!
 
Glad those links were helpful!

I find the post-graduate system here pretty complicated myself......it's nowhere near as straightforward as using NRMP or whatever. Therefore rather than attempt to explain it myself (and no doubt get something wrong) I'll refer you to this British Council link and hopefully it will answer some of your questions.