Doing MD/PhD to do human research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ephesus

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I want to do an MD/PhD to do human research.

Where can I find a syllabus of medical school? I don't know if I have the stomach for some of the things I see on ER; but I do need to do a joint MD/PhD.

Can anyone tell me about this program (MD/PhD) and where I can find more information. I am a cognitive neuroscientist major and my advisor told me to look into MD/PhD programs.

Members don't see this ad.

I can not really answer your questions since I am new to this whole thing to, but I would not base your decision off a tv show. I thought I would not be able to handle a real ER, but I definately became a ER-junky back in the days. You will not really know until you try it.

Also, I am not really sure about this, but I would not do a combined program if you are interested in purely clinical work. I think the program is geared to basic science research, and they try to avoid people that want to do clinical research in the admissions process (what I am saying is based off what a former MSTP program director at NIH once said). If anyone knows for sure that would be great.

I am an MD-PhD student who did a PhD in cognitive neuroscience and all of my research subjects were humans. I found no resistance to my interests when I was applying to MSTP programs. However, I only appied to programs where the neuroscience PhD program included faculty who were doing this type of research. There are also people who are doing their PhDs in epidemiology and public health who are doing research on humans. mtlove: there is an important distinction between basic research using human subjects (e.g. cognitive neuroscience) and clinical research (e.g. clinical trials to test drug effects).