doing prerequisites at a community college...good or bad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imapretender

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all!

so, I am new to this place and I am considering pursuing a career in physical therapy. However, i don't have the necessary prerequisites to be admitted to DPT programs. Furthermore, the postbaccs in my state are geared only toward those applying to med/dentistry schools, not for DPT candidates.

Therefore, i'm considering taking these prerequisites as a standard nonmatriculating student. I have two choices; i can do them at my state research university (where I did got my B.A. degree) or at a local community college in my county. Since the prereqs are 100-level courses, they are all offered at the community college. Also, the community college is significantly cheaper then the state university.

However, I am wondering, do admissions look down on community colleges, even if the courses are almost identical to the ones at the state university? I am concerned about being perceived as taking the easy way out by going the cc route. Also, the main DPT program in my state is at the research university, so perhaps it would look better for me to do the prereqs at the state school since they know about the level of difficulty etc.?

thanks for all of your responses!

Members don't see this ad.

I did all my pre reqs at a CC and had no problem getting into the program of my choice. It's more important you get an A in my opinion but I think if the school uses PTCAS most schools indicate if they will or will not except CC courses. Might be a good place to check out or contact the universities you are interested in to find out from them.