Doing research at the same institution for multiple summers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pasionman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a current college student weighing different options for the summer, and I am wondering about how doing summer research at the same place more than once (3, or even 4, times) over one's college career is perceived. And more importantly, would it be better just for my own development to seek a more diverse set of experiences during these years?

I've already gained acceptance to medical school, so I'm actually thinking of this issue as it pertains to residency applications (I know, that's way down the road). But the thing is, I've already identified a specialty in medicine that I could see myself pursuing. I've done research related to this field for two summers (the most recent of which is expected to result in a publication, which is great considering how competitive this specialty is) at the same institution. I've built good relationships, and even spent my summers close to home in the process. Obviously, I see a lot of opportunity here (especially since my PI has mentioned that I could take on my own project if I went back), and due to familiarity, I'd be most comfortable going back for another summer.

My main concern is that this repeated summer internship--especially if I end up spending every summer of my college career here--is viewed negatively down the road. Also (and it's not a huge deal-breaker, but something to consider) I might not be able to receive funding this summer if I decide to go back. There are, however, several funded summer research internships (the type that culminates in a poster and/or oral presentation) that I've been considering. They'd offer a different kind of experience, in a different field of research.

So here's the question: Would I be best served going back to the same lab I've worked at, and doing the same type of work (considering the potential for a publication and relevance to the field of medicine I'm interested in)? Or should I look to acquire more varied experiences during my college career, instead of limiting myself to one type of experience?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm actually in the same situation as you are, accepted to medical school through a combined program and I've already identified a specialty of medicine I'm interested in. Honestly consistency is pretty good and shows loyalty, but then again don't put all your eggs in one basket. Try exploring other research opportunities just so you can immerse yourself in different areas of medicine or research backgrounds. The more you expose yourself to new experiences the more well rounded person you will be overall. Congrats on that incoming publication! Please pm me what speciality you're looking into!