Doing REsearch for Residency?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by ashasnarf, Jan 30, 2002.

1. ashasnarf

ashasnarf Member

I have heard that if one wants to enter competitive fields like ENT, Neurosurgery, Ortho, Derm, that they must in most cases perform some research? Do you think that the research that you do has to be in that field to have real value? For example, if you want to do Otolaryngology (ENT), do you have to be loking at head and neck cancer as opposed to prostate cancer, or is the fact that you did research of some kind more important than what you investigated?? Thanks!!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jargon124

jargon124 Senior Member

My understanding is that any research is better than no research and for ultra-competetive fields, research within the specialty area is an added plus. Also, the quality of the research experience counts for a whole lot. Publications, poster presentations at national meetings, etc, are important and are looked upon favorably - such that your high-quality research may help you get an ENT residency even though it had little to do with head and neck issues.

Also keep in mind that research alone will not get you the match of your choice. Step I scores count for a whole lot, as do grades (especially 3rd year), letters of rec, AOA status, and school attended (to somewhat lesser extent).