Doing research for the first time during MS1 summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrankShui

Just to be frank...
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've never done research before during undergrad, but it's something I really want to do for this summer. There's this one PhD who is a fantastic lecturer and does research in an area that I'm interested in, but I'm hesitant to ask because I have no experience. I'm not exactly sure how I should ask if she's looking for anyone to assist in the lab over the summer without sounding too imposing. Anyone else in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

I would first ask someone in the medical education office if your school has any type of summer research program for MS1s. I don't know how common these are, I just know that we have one and a few other schools I know for sure do too.

The biggest problem I think you'll run into, if your school doesn't have a program, is getting any money. If your school doesn't have a program, you could try and get work-study to pay you some money. You also have to take into account the costs associated with research, such as lab supplies, that the professor might or might not have money for.

If you don't care about money, you could just approach the professor and explain to him/her what you explained in your post. The problem is that it takes a lot of effort to teach someone how to do bench work. Again, if your school has a program, these are designed with the understanding that the student might have no prior experience and significant time will have to be invested to help the student get the basics.

So, all in all, find out if your school has a summer research program. That'll be your best bet.

My school has a whole boatload of research opportunities for MS1, don't know how hard it is to get into them, but I knew plenty of MS1s who did research. So the opportunities are definitely there.

Members don't see this ad :)
Research is a great idea, especially if you think you want to apply for a more competitive residency. It helps distinguish you from the many other applicants who will have similar grades/scores as you even if you are not applying for a very competitive field.

I've never done research before during undergrad, but it's something I really want to do for this summer. There's this one PhD who is a fantastic lecturer and does research in an area that I'm interested in, but I'm hesitant to ask because I have no experience. I'm not exactly sure how I should ask if she's looking for anyone to assist in the lab over the summer without sounding too imposing. Anyone else in the same boat?
That's a great way to start. Another is by looking at the Research Forum FAQ (link in my signature). Scroll aways down and there's a question about setting up research opportunities as a med student. There's also a link to a huge series of summer opportunities for med students.