Doing research this summer before med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowys435

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So basically, I got into med school back in october and am a second semester senior. I have pretty much been chilling since I got in and honestly been kind of bored so I decided to apply to the NIH summer internship program this summer. I recently got an offer and my project is pretty cool and in a field I'm interested in exploring that I haven't gotten the chance to explore before....the program is 8 weeks.

I figured that it would be nice to do something this summer since I've been bumming around since october with nothing to work on. I see myself bumming around at home this summer watching a lot of tv and doing random stuff if I don't have anything to do this summer and I can see that getting boring pretty quickly However, I don't want to make a mistake and do this and be burnt out before med school starts.

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Research even in undergrad counts for residency so go for it

Go for it! I work at NIH now. The summer is the best/most fun time to be in D.C.

Members don't see this ad :)
DC is super fun. You'll have a blast, make some money, and maybe get a paper out.

Baltimore gets a bad rap but it's a beautiful city.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow, I'm in the same exact dilemma..

Have you been to Baltimore?
Yeah. Many a work trips. I'm also from Philly (1.5 hour away) and I have family just outside Bmore. So yeah, I beg to differ on the "beautiful city" part, but that's just my opinion.

Have you?

Yeah, I go there often. Its no DC but its not New Haven either lol.

Yeah, I go there often. Its no DC but its not New Haven either lol.
I've only been to New Haven once, but I do remember it having that same sort of old and drab feeling.

@snowys435 DC is very drivable from Baltimore (not considering beltway traffic, of course) so take the internship and have some fun exploring the whole DC, Baltimore, Philly corridor. Bonus if you have friends that live in these cities and could crash for the weekend.