Doing residency in crappy places and going back to desirable places --> an uphill battle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If one does a primary care residency in less desirable places, what would be his or her chance of going back to more desirable places? I am okay with getting my residency training in crappy areas as long as I get good education.

However, I do not want to start a family in these areas and send my future children to schools where only 50% of students go to college. Environment and epigenetic matter a lot and I will not let my future children to be disadvantaged by his or her upbringing and surrounding people and inferior infrastructure.

I want to send my future children to nation's top ranked public schools like Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Fairfax County in Northern Virginia or prestigious private prep schools like Phillips Exeter Academy. I will be sending them to Ivy League or top schools and then they can follow their passion and make informed, wise decision about their career path, marriage, and other important aspects in lives.

I also want live with neighbors with similar professional backgrounds and standards as mine. I do not want my neighbors to be part of social problems. It would be much better if they are regular church goers too as long as they are not bigots.

So if I unfortunately end up in low tier residency programs in crappy areas, what must I do in order to go back to these so called desirable places? Should I have research gap years and then apply to better places? I understand that I must choose a primary care specialty and be board certified. What are other things to do to improve my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe do well in med school so you don't have to go to less desirable programs?

Surely. But anything can happen in our lives. And we need to know how to escape when catastrophic events like this happen. This would make us to be stronger and better prepared against forces of darkness that try to ruin our lives.

You really need to stop

Reactions: 10 users
You really need to stop

Hey, please. I added some rhetorical expressions to add some humor but I am actually quite serious about my question.

What if this happens to you for whatever reason? This can happen to anyone due to unexpected ,unfortunate, or inevitable circumstances despite trying one's best.

//Environment and epigenetic matter//

Living in an insulated bubble where you aim to protect your children from the realities of life, hoisting upon them ridiculous expectations, and denigrating the social realities of "other half," may have an "environmental effect" on your children, perhaps having them acquire congenital entitlmentdouchitis. Symptoms include 5" pastel shorts, boat shoes with no socks, and a first name like "Preston."

Reactions: 24 users
//Environment and epigenetic matter//

Living in an insulated bubble where you aim to protect your children from the realities of life, hoisting upon them ridiculous expectations, and denigrating the social realities of "other half," may have an "environmental effect" on your children, perhaps having them acquire congenital entitlmentdouchitis. Symptoms include 5" pastel shorts, boat shoes with no socks, and a first name like "Preston."
Who seriously wears boat shoes WITH socks?

Reactions: 7 users
Come on. You just planned out your kids' whole lives for them all the way through college. Consider that your kid might want to become a truck driver (nothing wrong with that) or the possibility that by association with the classes below whichever one you have put yourself in, your kids might learn a little humility and not become entitled. My opinions aside you would complete your residency, apply for a job where you would like to live, and rent a moving truck like the rest of the plebeians.

Reactions: 1 users
big·ot
ˈbiɡət/
noun
  1. a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

Sounds like you do want bigots for neighbors in your cookie cutter world with similar professions, religions, social status, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What happens if you have a TIA during your step one? Does the voided test count against you? How do you prove that it was a TIA?
If I want to a double residency in internal medicine and general surgery, which one should I do first? Would it be okay if I did IM at a Harvard program and surgery at a no-name program?
If I scored 32 on my MCAT three times but with different distributions, how likely am I to make AOA in med school?
If I had an extra pinky on my left hand, would I have to order special gloves for my surgical rotation?
Do I need a permit to re-zone my septic tank drain field?
Why is the sky blue?

Reactions: 5 users
big·ot
ˈbiɡət/
noun
  1. a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions.

Sounds like you do want bigots for neighbors in your cookie cutter world with similar professions, religions, social status, etc.
Wanting to live around people similar to yourself is not the same as being intolerant of other people. In fact the real irony is that your post is closer to bigotry than anything the OP said.

If one does a primary care residency in less desirable places, what would be his or her chance of going back to more desirable places? I am okay with getting my residency training in crappy areas as long as I get good education.

However, I do not want to start a family in these areas and send my future children to schools where only 50% of students go to college. Environment and epigenetic matter a lot and I will not let my future children to be disadvantaged by his or her upbringing and surrounding people and inferior infrastructure.

I want to send my future children to nation's top ranked public schools like Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology in Fairfax County in Northern Virginia or prestigious private prep schools like Phillips Exeter Academy. I will be sending them to Ivy League or top schools and then they can follow their passion and make informed, wise decision about their career path, marriage, and other important aspects in lives.

I also want live with neighbors with similar professional backgrounds and standards as mine. I do not want my neighbors to be part of social problems. It would be much better if they are regular church goers too as long as they are not bigots.

So if I unfortunately end up in low tier residency programs in crappy areas, what must I do in order to go back to these so called desirable places? Should I have research gap years and then apply to better places? I understand that I must choose a primary care specialty and be board certified. What are other things to do to improve my chances?

You'll probably never have kids.

are you the same guy from 2 weeks ago who was threatening to commit suicide if your children didn't go to the best high school and get into IV league colleges.

Commit suicide? wow... there are always ways to achieve your goals and avoid adverse outcomes.

You'll probably never have kids.

I will have kids and they grow up and bring great things to the society that help people unlike those with mediocre talent and drive whose lives could be summarized into three words: consumption, excretion, and reproduction.

What if your kids just want to smoke pot, do a few lines of coke, and have lots of raunchy gay sex?

Reactions: 3 users
I will have kids and they grow up and bring great things to the society that help people unlike those with mediocre talent and drive whose lives could be summarized into three words: consumption, excretion, and reproduction.

That describes 95% of Americans. Including me and you ;)

I'm not saying you're wrong but I can't agree with you. I also don't like any of your recent posts nor your personality. I'm actually more interested of how you feel about your patients. Also, just for the record, your kids may grow up as rebellious. I wonder how would you deal with that.

This thread needs to be locked as it is getting nowhere.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm not saying you're wrong but I can't agree with you. I also don't like any of your recent posts nor your personality. I'm actually more interested of how you feel about your patients. Also, just for the record, your kids may grow up as rebellious. I wonder how would you deal with that.

This thread needs to be locked as it is getting nowhere.

That is true, the stricter the settings, the MORE rebellious kids get.

what if your kids grow up to resent you for being so tough on them, they fail out of their top high school, they get kicked out of IV league college and end up working at Olive Garden and make you look like a failure and a laughing stock, despite all your hard effort and opportunities you gave them?
Free breadsticks!!

OP is living in a bubble. Someone needs to tell him...or not

tumblr_mz8ymbOHc61rs5nuyo2_250.gif

Reactions: 1 user

yup, everyone knows asians are the most rebellious kids. oh wait...

dude if you only want to live around people who are similar to you that means you are a racist, homophobic, bigot, 1 percenter, republican.
That's quite a leap I think...

Edit: for the record I also concur this thread should be locked; the amount of low yield threads on SDN has been steadily increasing these days.

Come on. You just planned out your kids' whole lives for them all the way through college. Consider that your kid might want to become a truck driver (nothing wrong with that) or the possibility that by association with the classes below whichever one you have put yourself in, your kids might learn a little humility and not become entitled. My opinions aside you would complete your residency, apply for a job where you would like to live, and rent a moving truck like the rest of the plebeians.
OP is an idiot but lets not pretend anyone sets forth their academic goals in high school to entire truck driving school.

what if your kids grow up to resent you for being so tough on them, they fail out of their top high school, they get kicked out of IV league college and end up working at Olive Garden and make you look like a failure and a laughing stock, despite all your hard effort and opportunities you gave them?

Dude, it's all about doing one's best. My father for example, he lost his dad when he was in middle school. So the family became poor. He lived in South Korea in 60s and back then this country was one of the poorest countries in the world. He was the first born son so he was obligated to rebuild his family. My family has been belonging to high class society for generations according to our family's genealogy book which has records back in 10th century. He studied civil engineering at Seoul National University, nation's #1 school, finished his bachelors and masters, and then went to Saudi Arabia to work as an engineer. He bought a house for his mother and sent his three younger brothers to top schools in Korea. While he is quite affluent, his brothers were spoiled and were not successful. His youngest brother had massive debt and my father had to pay off his brother's debt, which was about $260k.

I inherited these sorts of values from my father and therefore I won't be abandoning my children for failing in their lives. I would do whatever I can in my power to help them overcome challenges and improve themselves.

Now we are in America. We are the only family in my house settling in this country. My mother is about to complete her pharmacy doctorate degree and I completed my undergrad with a full scholarship and am currently in an U.S Allopathic medical school after arriving here at the age of 14. My sister is following my footsteps by working as a research fellow at National Cancer Institute and is gathering more than 4 publications.

Last edited:
Dude, it's all about doing one's best. My father for example, he lost his dad when he was in middle school. So the family became poor. He lived in South Korea in 60s and back then this country was one of the poorest countries in the world. He was the first born son so he was obligated to rebuild his family. My family has been belonging to high class society for generations according to our family's genealogy book which has records back in 10th century. He studied civil engineering at Seoul National University, nation's #1 school, finished his bachelors and masters, and then went to Saudi Arabia to work as an engineer. He bought a house for his mother and sent his three younger brothers to top schools in Korea. While he is quite affluent, his brothers were spoiled and were not successful. His youngest brother had massive debt and my father had to pay off his brother's debt, which was about $260k.

I inherited these sorts of values from my father and therefore I won't be abandoning my children for failing in their lives. I would do whatever I can in my power to help them overcome challenges and improve themselves.

don't forget the networking benefits from living in close proximity to successful people

don't forget the networking benefits from living in close proximity to successful people

True. so I better watch my mouth when I am near my classmates and faculty members. I only say politically correct, positive things like "oh you are so smart." "I love medical school," "I love my school," and anything that sounds sweet and is sugar-coated.

if you're a doctor whether in a "crappy" area or not, you'll probably be living in a nice neighborhood. In American, generally, you don't find doctors and other successful people living in housing projects. they live a couple blocks over in the gated community.

you don't have to grow up in an affluent setting to become successful. the USoA and S. Korea are two different places.

What if your child ends up at a DO school? or decides he'd rather go PA? or become a janitor?

Dude, living in a gated community in Alabama is still much worse than living in a middle class suburban in Northern Virginia, Fairfax County. If what you say is entirely true, then there should be less Ivy grads in Wall Street than some random no-name state schools grads because Ivy league schools have less number of students than these no-name state schools.

What if your kids HATE ivy league schools, want to go to a party school or go to a small LAC where there are people of their liking? Or maybe they want to go to a CC? What if they are like millions of people who think Wall Street is pathetic and wants no part of that? They can happy going to a state school in Virginia, to study Art History, and make a happy life as an art curator with his partner and two kids.

Last edited:
what if your children have attitudes as spoiled as yours and fail to pass the interview stage at these prestigious schools.

lol @ thinking spoiled attitudes keeps you out of ivy leagues

it is a pre-requisite

I'm curious now that OP brought it up. I'm an international student currently studying for my Step 1, and I know landing a decent residency is going to be tough. If I settle for a less than desirable residency, how difficult is it to work in a big city in the future? (I know not the situation is not the same as an IMG, but let's just talk hypothetically).

The first thing you need to do is get a pickup truck, nothing too fancy, but one with a diesel engine, maybe a Ram or an older Dodge, and then if you want, you can set it up as a coal roller. You'll need a "How's that Hope and Change Going for Ya? sticker and then a Bone Collector and Browning antler sticker, and a "My dog is smarter than your honor student" sticker. Then you need hitch sack to hang from your trailer hitch. You can get a cap on your truck if you need more space for other stickers.

Of course, you will also want to buy some guns. Now you don't want the kind of guns some people might buy in Fairfax County, Virginia; people will make fun of you behind your back, so you want to get nice enough guns so you can enjoy them but not be afraid to take them out and shoot them, so Brownings might be a good choice, especially since you will have one of their stickers anyway.

Then you need a dog, and one that might be good at hunting, since that could be popular where you will do your crappy-location residency. Labradors are good, but there are others that are good too. Dogs are good because they can hunt and they also keep an eye on your truck. Avoid the little dogs.

You need to barbecue things. Now you can barbecue almost anything, but because you will be buying guns and will have a dog and a truck, you can hunt and shoot things that you can then barbecue. Small animals are easy to find, but nobody cares too much about that, but bigger animals, like deer and especially wild hogs will earn you substantial respect if you can shoot them and turn them into barbecue.

If you do those things, you will find nice neighbors with similar interests who can help you if you need, like if your driveway is snowed in and you need a plow or if your well goes dry and you need to drill another one. You can raise your future children where you live and then when they apply to the schools you want them to go to, they will have a tremendous advantage because compared to all the other applicants,they will seem exotic and even foreign, and those schools especially like that.

I'm curious now that OP brought it up. I'm an international student currently studying for my Step 1, and I know landing a decent residency is going to be tough. If I settle for a less than desirable residency, how difficult is it to work in a big city in the future? (I know not the situation is not the same as an IMG, but let's just talk hypothetically).

it isn't difficult, OP is just type A.

my dad did his residency in Kansas and came back to Socal and had plenty of offers. obviously it depends on your specialty and what kind of job you want, but it isn't something you need to plan ahead for.

Dude, living in a gated community in Alabama is still much worse than living in a middle class suburban in Northern Virginia, Fairfax County.

Is it? Granted, I've never been to Alabama, but I have friends from there, and it doesn't sound like such a bad place. And your salary stretches a lot farther in places like that, which would mean you could potentially give your potential-future-high-achieving-offspring more opportunities due to the lower cost of living.

I have family in northern Virginia and admittedly it's a nice place, but there's a lot of America in between one of the richest counties in the US and the podunk parts of the South you're describing. Happy, successful kids can grow up in lots of places.

I would not want to be your children's friend, nor would I want my children to be their friend. Please stay in a crappy area.