Doing Undergrad Internationally

DoctorS_

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would a US citizen who earns his/her baccalaureate degree outside of the country sill be eligible for admission into a US medical school (assuming the fact that he/she takes the MCAT and prerequisite courses)?

Members don't see this ad.

If an applicant to a US medical school has a bachelor's degree from a country other than the US or Canada they need to complete a part of their studies (I think 1 year) in the US.

Thanks for the reply.

So I have the option to go to Canada to get a bachelor's, then return to the US for medical school?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you go to Canada for college as a US citizen you can apply to US medical schools no problem. You don't have to do the 1 year at a US institution thing.

Thanks for the reply.

So I have the option to go to Canada to get a bachelor's, then return to the US for medical school?

If you are a U.S. ctizen studying in Canada, the Canadian universities charge you a lot of money.

I dont know many schools in Canada...but i do know that most of them are probably not as good as some of the ones here....if your going to noname school in Canada instead of your state school here...i personally wouldnt, i dont see the benefit...

But now if were talking about McGill...then i would probably go there as opposed to a lot of schools here. McGill is well known and a reputable school...and not to mention from its stats not that easy to get into.

If its more for an experiance thing you want to go...remmeber you can always study abroad.

Can one go to Canada and then come back to the US? Short answer: Yes. Long answer: It's probably not a great idea. The Canadian grading system is harsher and the odds of a US citizen being accepted to a Canadian med school aren't so great. I would recommend against this route.