PhD/PsyD Domestic violence CEs (NJ)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Member6677

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering if there is any sort of rubric for domestic violence CEs in NJ. I took an intensive EMDR 3-day training this weekend which put me well above the required CE's for this 2yr renewal period (now at 54) and we can only carry over 10. As it is a trauma-based therapy, I am wondering if it can could for DV CEs or if perhaps that is a bit of a stretch.

Thanks for any insights/guidance.

Members don't see this ad.

Gonna have to check with the state board as they are the final say. My bet is that no, it probably will not count. Also, I would strongly advise not buying the expensive placebo equipment for EMDR. It doesn't do anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Gonna have to check with the state board as they are the final say. My bet is that no, it probably will not count. Also, I would strongly advise not buying the expensive placebo equipment for EMDR. It doesn't do anything.

Knowing the NJ state board, they will....never respond. Or respond three months later with a response that has nothing to do with the question.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm guessing not - they're probably looking more for training on the dynamics of domestic violence and things like that. Training for a trauma therapy won't really go into specifics on that sort of stuff unless it's targeting DV specifically.

Thanks for the heads up. I was funded through a grant so I got all the bells and whistles aka light bar and tappers. In my own personal therapy I use the tappers. Do you prefer to just do BLS with finger passes?

Thanks for the heads up. I was funded through a grant so I got all the bells and whistles aka light bar and tappers. In my own personal therapy I use the tappers. Do you prefer to just do BLS with finger passes?

WAT

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

I just use exposure + cognitive restructuring.

Reactions: 1 users

As IndianaJane pointed out, just use the components that work. If you'd like to read the dismantling studies that show the eye movements are meaningless, I will be happy to oblige. But, in short, when I see a practitioner who lists EMDR in their signature line, it just tells me that they do not know how to evaluate research properly and are vulnerable to pseudocientific influences. It makes us look bad as a profession. Leave that garbage to SW.

Reactions: 3 users