EPPP NJ Retake and Exam Study Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clinicalpsychpsyd

Reaction score
So I have to retake the EPPP. Does anyone know how long the NJ board takes before they grant you access to re apply for the exam? I have tried to reach out a number of times, however there is no response. I do believe it may be helpful to have a date to work towards, so I would like to at least have a ballpark range of when I can expect to retake.

In addition to that, for those who passed, I am wondering what people's experience with study materials is. I did not feel that AATBS prepared me in terms of material. It did not feel relevant to what was actually on the test. Does anyone else feel this way and if so, what materials did you find to be more reflective of the exam content?

Open to any study and exam strategy/tips as well!

Members don't see this ad.

My experience (and several members in my cohort) is that on the test you will come across many questions where you go “wtf I never studied this” but you have to learn to narrow down choices based on your fund of knowledge and test taking strategies. Me and my friends all used different study programs and we all passed on the first try, so I really don’t think AATBS materials are the issue.

I caught several ethics questions where it looks like it’s leading you towards one answer, many distractors, but then you read the real question halfway through the long winded paragraph. I had another question where it asked the most efficacy based treatment for one of those rarely used sexual or sleep disorders. I didn’t study that but based on what I DID know about that type of disorder, I believe I picked the correct answer (of course no way of knowing since you don’t know what you got right or wrong)

in my online study groups, I had ppl who were retaking it for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th! time and they just kept trying to learn more and more content, but I really don’t think that was the issue- it’s about test taking skills.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I remember on AATBS exam
q’s (I signed up for free trials of all the study programs to get exposed to as many test q’s as possible) they actually had an explanation for each question and I felt theirs was the closest to the real test.

But if you look at the EPPP discussion forum, everyone has their own beliefs on which prep company had the most realistic exam questions haha

Members don't see this ad :)
My experience (and several members in my cohort) is that on the test you will come across many questions where you go “wtf I never studied this” but you have to learn to narrow down choices based on your fund of knowledge and test taking strategies. Me and my friends all used different study programs and we all passed on the first try, so I really don’t think AATBS materials are the issue.

I caught several ethics questions where it looks like it’s leading you towards one answer, many distractors, but then you read the real question halfway through the long winded paragraph. I had another question where it asked the most efficacy based treatment for one of those rarely used sexual or sleep disorders. I didn’t study that but based on what I DID know about that type of disorder, I believe I picked the correct answer (of course no way of knowing since you don’t know what you got right or wrong)

in my online study groups, I had ppl who were retaking it for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th! time and they just kept trying to learn more and more content, but I really don’t think that was the issue- it’s about test taking skills.
Your response is so helpful, thank you! While it feels like it’s just an intuitive thing to me, I’m curious if you’re aware of any methods for gaining these obviously very much needed test taking strategies??

Your response is so helpful, thank you! While it feels like it’s just an intuitive thing to me, I’m curious if you’re aware of any methods for gaining these obviously very much needed test taking strategies??
Actually yes, I thought 50% of the test was content and 50% of help came from this facebook group "Hack the EPPP: Helping Psychologists Pass the EPPP Fast" (fyi I promise I'm not selling anything lol)
Ignore the "passing fast" part
Anyways, this group is run by a guy who SOLELY focuses on test taking strategies for the EPPP, why each answer is correct or not correct, how to really read what the question is asking you, etc. When I did it 6 months ago, he had one day a week where it was a free group session, and you can join his program (it's just more sessions per week). I respect his hustle, but what he charges is insanely expensive. I was so burnt out from paying exam fees and test materials (I bought prepjet solely because it was the cheapest), no way was I paying anyone anything more. So I did prepjet + signed up for as many free trials as possible of OTHER study programs to get exposed to more free exam questions + hack the eppp free group once per week= score of 600+ (forgot what my exact score was).

Also, for my two friends, one used academic review materials and another did psychprep. they did not do the free study strategies group. but we all passed on our first try. so there are many paths to passing. if you don't want to do the free study group (i know not everyone has a facebook account) then when you take exam q's, read the explanation and you need to be able to explain for each question why each choice was correct or incorrect. practice this and it should help!

You can take it 4 times in 12 months. I think the interval is up to you but check that part.