Done with interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bjackrian

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Post here to celebrate! I finished on Monday and am super-excited that all plane trips from now until June will be for fun reasons and not to go to more interviews (especially since I applied almost exclusively cross-costally!). :)

Members don't see this ad.

I've been done since middle of December. I crammed 7 interviews in 2 weeks, crazy, but glad I did it because I was done will all 10 interviews by the end of the year.

I guess I finished on the 15th...but I had one on the 16th that I had to ditch out on because of a killer sinus infection. I feel kind of bad about it because I was actually there, stayed in my awesome hotel room, went to the resident dinner and just felt too awful when I woke up to be "on" for one last interview. Especially at a place that I didn't really feel like ranking. But still, seems kind of like I scammed them into free stuff, then didn't follow through.

However by not having that "official" last one, it made being done somewhat anticlimactic.

I'm excited because I think it means that I'm finally going to retire my navy suit that I've had since high school, and that means I'll get to buy a new one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm excited because I think it means that I'm finally going to retire my navy suit that I've had since high school, and that means I'll get to buy a new one.

Heh--I put my suit in the closet and don't plan to wear it or find a new one until after residency. Now the tuxedo in my close, that's a different story. If only I had tickets to one of the inaugural balls on Tuesday! ;)

Done as of yesterday! And, oddly enough, it was at Tufts, who said they weren't going to give me an interview, and then did anyway.

Now for a med student applying to peds residency question:

Does it matter when you interview date-wise? If a program offers interviews Nov-Jan, is there any advantage to going in November vs waiting until January. Thinking about doing an away rotation next Jan in a location where I could do a lot of interviews (distance-wise by driving), but want to make sure it wouldn't make a diff. like med school does (interview early=more likely acceptance).

Thanks!

I've heard varying things. If you read the Iserson guide, he says that typically ratings of applicants go up as the season progresses. I certainly don't think it matters anywhere near as much as it could possibly matter for med school.

There are a couple of other factors that play a role too, including where you're applying/interviewing, the fact that it's Peds (and not ENT or Ortho) and that it's a mutual selection process.

Overall, given that the match gives the advantage to the applicants, any edge you'd gain or lose from interviewing at the right or wrong time is moderated by the fact that it's your decision. I imagine a large number of peds programs place highest priority on making sure they fill their spots. If you're an Ortho program that only has 5 positions to fill, that's a lot different situation than what faces even the most highly rated peds programs (eg CHOP takes 42 and Baylor/TCH has 40 interns each year). If you're a mid-level program, that issue probably becomes even bigger. So if you're not a prestige *****, and have different criteria other than name that matter to you when you apply, the ball might be even more firmly in your court.

Also keep in mind that you don't want to be leaving your away rotation too often for other interviews--it doesn't speak well of your interest in the program you're rotating at! If you're talking about interviewing before or after the rotation, then I say go for it--I definitely don't think that it would hurt you.

Agree with above:

Leaving multiple times during an away rotation at a spot that you may actually want to attend for residency looks to this resident like poor planning.

I would caution heavily AGAINST using anything Iserson says as gospel. If you compare his first edition to the newest, you realize that not a lot has changed in his text..and the first edition was published in 1988!!!! :eek:
It does have good CV & personal statement examples though

Bottom line, for peds, it doesnt matter: go when you want and fit it in with your schedule