Done with my NBDE 1 yesterday

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anniestar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
It was tiring and nerve wrecking.I am writing this for the benefit of those who are still to give there exams and I know how it feels when you are on the other side.I got lots of help from SDN and its members so I wanted to contribute something now.
Coming to the exam,my personal opinion is that stop worrying about the difficulty level being higher in 2010.this was my second attempt,i had taken the first one in dec 2009.I think the standard of the exam was the same.They check you THOROUGHLY.I felt better coz i think my preparation was better than last time.approx 300 questons plus minus 10 ,you can answer if you have studied well,the rest 100 u have to apply your knowledge and come to the best conclusion.If you get 30% of those correct u can get a decent score.I am just keeping my fingers crossed for the next 3 weeks to knw how i did.
There were a lot of questions on tmj ,read everthing you can lay your hands on about tmj.there were quite a few repeats verbatim,i dint even have to read the options to know the answer.there were few questions which looked familiar but they had changed something in it to make it tricky.testlets i think i got 7-8 of them,i dont remember exactly,out of these 2 were difficult,too many diseases and too may medications in one person.
sleep very well the night before coz its gonna be a lonnnnng day.know your matter well,reading superficially many times won't help until you know the things in and out.there were topics which i had read well and didnt get a single question out of it,there were others which were not discussed in detail in the sources i used and i got q out of those.but that is what exam is all about.i just wanna say one thing again that be confident ,use the standard sources like decks,asda papers and first aid.that is enough but know your matter in depth,you will be fine.
pls dont PM me for discussing anything which is unethical,for all other queries you might have i''ll be happy to answer here.
now i go back to my two and a half year old daughter who has become sick of seeing mumma studying all the time.
3 weeks of prayer and anticipation.oh my God.
ok take care
all the best

Members don't see this ad.

hi,
i got my score.its 89.thank God.much better than previous attempt of 84.i am just a little busy today.will reply u taha soon in detail.
thanks everybody for the wishes.its a big load down my head having a respectable score.
all the best to those preparing.

That's a wonderful score anniestar !! Hearty congratulations to you !! Start enjoying your days more with you daughter coz 1 year from now, you will be busy studying in a dental school !!!!:thumbup:

Had gone thru your earlier posts. you mentioned "there were quite a few repeats verbatim,i dint even have to read the options to know the answer.." wanted to ask you, do you mean repeats as in, from ASDA papers ???

Enjoy !!

hi,
i got my score.its 89.thank God.much better than previous attempt of 84.i am just a little busy today.will reply u taha soon in detail.
thanks everybody for the wishes.its a big load down my head having a respectable score.
hi anniestar,hearty conratulations on ur score i'm sooooo proud of u..... ur my inspiration now!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi,

Congratulations Anniestar!!!
thts an awesome score. I am so proud of u.:thumbup:

congratulation amniestar
this is awesome but for me i fell more difficult i have 2 kids, i hope i can get score like you. and if u can pls advice us ,and share your experience
thanks in advance

Congratulations Anniestar..
U did itt....u must be very proud of ur self and same as ur family...hard work alwys pays off...well i had my exam on june 18 and as u mention about the difficulty and level of exam ur so much correct..its just the same now m keeping my fingers cross for two or three weeks..
hey what are ur breakdown???...please let me know i want to know abt the curve..thats the most impo things in scoring good marks..

oncee AGAINN....CONGRATULATIONSSSS

Hey annistar congart!!!

Good luck fsi on ur results ..By the way there is no curve in nbde ..they do it by calculation/national mean ,,how ?i have no idea???!!! ,,anyway guys congrat .and good luck in advance.!

hi,
thanks everybody for sharing my happiness,i just hope i get into a prog as i don't have any US experience,came here last year and with prep and home it was not possible to join any clinic.anyways,i'll answer a few questions.
@6789---ya there were repeats frm asda and also few ques discussed here on sDN.go thrugh "open questions to all "thread.
my breakdown is
anatomic sciences-77
physo biochem-75
micro path-87
dental anat--82
@taha---well,i would recommend to use concise sources and give more time to practicing questions,i don't know about usmle lectures,i didn't have them.
i think first aid nbde is the best source,concise but lootss of info.supplemented with decks and papers is a good combo.u need to do DA from kaplan notes.thats a must.

and ya i remember now just go on youtube and browse biochemistry lectures by dr S.Dasgupta ,i would highly recommend her lecture on metabolism,it has 3 parts 1 hr each but u will understand the cycles like anything.she is wonderful.
and i really want to thank people whom i used to message and ask things and they always replied in detail.SDN has been a great help.sometimes when i used to be tired studying i used to refresh myself by checking sdn and it was good to know that others wre also trying like me and its difficult for everybody but just keep on working hard,one day we all will reach our goal .

many many congratulations...................i am following ur method only. first aid is my first source followed by deck and asda.i hope to get gud scores tooo by following these books

hi,

SOrry for being latte... but congratulation .... this is very good score... wowowwowowowooow:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

all this time i was feeling soo low.. as i am also waiting for my score.. u made me little confident.. as the time is passing.. i feeling very depressed...

lets hope my score comes to be good..

Hey anniestar, Congrats on a great score!

i have a question for you, were you scoring the same on ASDA papers as you have gotten on your Raw Score? Thanks :thumbup: and goodluck with your admission process:)

Hi anniestar,
Congratulations !!!! God bless ! Wish you all success in your admissions !
hi,

Anniestar,
I have a question for you. I have my master's degree in US in Public health and 21/2 yrs working experience . Do you think this will help in admissions?
Hi anniestar,
Congratulations !!!! God bless ! Wish you all success in your admissions !

Members don't see this ad :)
Anniestar,
I have a question for you. I have my master's degree in US in Public health and 21/2 yrs working experience . Do you think this will help in admissions?

Yes of course that would help, i believe having a masters and work experience will definitely make you stand out and would increase your chances.

Hey anniestar, Congrats on a great score!

i have a question for you, were you scoring the same on ASDA papers as you have gotten on your Raw Score? Thanks :thumbup: and goodluck with your admission process:)

no dear,
i was getting higher on asda papers around 85-90.i got 10 points less in the real test for anat and physio biochem so aim very high in asda papers to do well in the real exam.
good luck

no dear,
i was getting higher on asda papers around 85-90.i got 10 points less in the real test for anat and physio biochem so aim very high in asda papers to do well in the real exam.
good luck

Damn! i need to work harder .. thanks :)

no dear,
good luck
Congrats anniestar. Which state u r located. I haven't received my score yet! I too gave on first june.Good luck with admissions!!

Hi there Godblessus,

TKS for all the good advice.
I am not sure what book this is frm OKESON that you are referring to. Is it Management of Temporomandibular Disorders and Occlusion or Fundamentals of Occlusion and Temporomandibular Disorders
I have just started with my prep for NBDE I and feel quite lost. I am havin difficulty with occlusion and heard that okeson is good for that and TMJ. I have only done Decks. Is that good enuf?

Regds.

Hi Anekha,

u don't have to do pharmac in detail. If u have first aid NBDE or usmle , it is very very nice short and sweet. If u do that it's enough. Just the basic mode of action and where does it act. Also the side effects but just brief. For pathology go through all the disease thoroughly. Know the basic pathology behind each disease. They ask everything basic. For TMJ i read OKESON chapter 1 very very useful and if possible supplement as much as u can. But do the first chapter of okeson especially TMJ VERY THOROUGHLY.

Good luck.:thumbup:

Hi Anniestar, Was going thru the posts. Am inspired by you and also all other young mothers with kids. Congrats. Keep it up n all the best. As abt me just started now and feel quite lost as I hav a kind of forgotten my basics.

hi,
thanks everybody for sharing my happiness,i just hope i get into a prog as i don't have any US experience,came here last year and with prep and home it was not possible to join any clinic.anyways,i'll answer a few questions.
@6789---ya there were repeats frm asda and also few ques discussed here on sDN.go thrugh "open questions to all "thread.
my breakdown is
anatomic sciences-77
physo biochem-75
micro path-87
dental anat--82
@taha---well,i would recommend to use concise sources and give more time to practicing questions,i don't know about usmle lectures,i didn't have them.
i think first aid nbde is the best source,concise but lootss of info.supplemented with decks and papers is a good combo.u need to do DA from kaplan notes.thats a must.

and ya i remember now just go on youtube and browse biochemistry lectures by dr S.Dasgupta ,i would highly recommend her lecture on metabolism,it has 3 parts 1 hr each but u will understand the cycles like anything.she is wonderful.
and i really want to thank people whom i used to message and ask things and they always replied in detail.SDN has been a great help.sometimes when i used to be tired studying i used to refresh myself by checking sdn and it was good to know that others wre also trying like me and its difficult for everybody but just keep on working hard,one day we all will reach our goal .

hey,
just a little advice pls.How many progs should one apply to be on the safer side??any rough figure pls.

hey,
just a little advice pls.How many progs should one apply to be on the safer side??any rough figure pls.

Anniestar,

with a wonderful score like yours, i think you should apply to all schools, whose minimum requirements are met by you. Unless you have some geographic constraints and want to limit yourself to east/west coast etc.

My 2 cents- you may end up spending a little more on applications ,by applying to more schools, but it is totally worth it.. You never know spending a little more now , could end up giving you more choices( which could save you thousands !!!! )

hey,

Hi anniestar,

Probably you should post in a different thread in International forum.After all this thread is basically seen by people still preparing.I totally concur with 6789.Good luck with your applications!

Hi there Godblessus,

TKS for all the good advice.
I am not sure what book this is frm OKESON that you are referring to. Is it Management of Temporomandibular Disorders and Occlusion or Fundamentals of Occlusion and Temporomandibular Disorders
I have just started with my prep for NBDE I and feel quite lost. I am havin difficulty with occlusion and heard that okeson is good for that and TMJ. I have only done Decks. Is that good enuf?

Regds.

Hi Aimingdds,
Thats the correct book, u can get from library. U just have to do the first 6 chapters. Here is the link :

http://www.amazon.com/Management-Temporomandibular-Disorders-Occlusion-Jeffrey/dp/0323046142

Decks u definitely have to do but don't just rely on that for occlusion. Kaplan is also good to clear the concepts of occlusion. But do okeson first 6 chapters thoroughly. Let me know if u want the chapters link. I have 2 chapters in computer rest i have print out. good luck!!

hi everyone, one week left...................doing asda's .............dont know what to say or expect !
godblessus, i have a question to ask u , i also have okeson, 6 chapters...........a very kindhearted person mailed me the links ..........but when i read the first chapter a few days ago, i got confused...........according to first chapter, intermediate zone of disk is above the condyle in closed mouth position, while in decks, 2007 version, it says, the posterior band is above it! ..........they dont have this much account of tmj in kaplan.....................what do i do? and in the next chapters, atleast i saw the second one , it's about the mechanics, motor unit etc............one more thing i read was that the afferent sensory neurons have their cell bodies in the gasserion ganglion, where as it is clear in decks , that the sensory afferent cell bodies lie in mesencephalic nucleus, the sensory nucleus of trigeminal!

Tks for the advice godblessus,

I will start with Okeson n Kaplan for occlusion. Can u pls send me the links. Will really appreciate it.

Hi Aimingdds,
Thats the correct book, u can get from library. U just have to do the first 6 chapters. Here is the link :

http://www.amazon.com/Management-Temporomandibular-Disorders-Occlusion-Jeffrey/dp/0323046142

Decks u definitely have to do but don't just rely on that for occlusion. Kaplan is also good to clear the concepts of occlusion. But do okeson first 6 chapters thoroughly. Let me know if u want the chapters link. I have 2 chapters in computer rest i have print out. good luck!!

i'll have to agree with u anniestar! just concentrate on the best sources available...............i have gone thru kaplan too. but i would probably just go thru the clinical corelates given at the side .........if i do get time..........just be thorough with the studying.......................plz pray for meeeeeeeeeeee:scared:
hiiii I m preparing to take the nbde1 0n december...and i need a study partner are you interested?

hey,

6 or 7 colleges would be o.k. at ur score.please tell where can i find the thread "open questions to all"? as mentioned by u in a previous thread.

thanks!!

SOrry for being latte... but congratulation .... this is very good score... wowowwowowowooow:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

all this time i was feeling soo low.. as i am also waiting for my score.. u made me little confident.. as the time is passing.. i feeling very depressed...

lets hope my score comes to be good..
hey dontist did u got ur results, wats ur score