Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Done with work (almost)...SCARED!

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by maxhealth, Jul 24, 2006.

1. maxhealth

maxhealth Langendorff Land
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just hung up the phone with our HR office. I gave them my official two week notice and informed them I will be going back to school. My boss has known that I'll be leaving for a long time, but there was something about informing HR. I've got this sick feeling in my stomach like I almost want to throw up! I'm so nervous, leaving a lucrative job to go into debt. Not just debt, but MASSIVE debt! YIKES!!

I guess pursuing your dreams and getting where you want to be in life does not come easy. I'm so excited to start this new part of my life. I'd say I'm about 60% excited 40% terrified. Anyone there with me??

2. Apparition

Apparition 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

I feel everything that you feel. I'm both really excited and terrified these last days at my job. Most of the time I feel like I'm doing the right thing but sometimes I think I'm crazy to be doing this.

3. Doctor Bagel

Doctor Bagel so cheap and juicy
    Moderator Emeritus 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It is hard to give up making money, saving for retirement, your work benefits, etc. Yeah, I remember handing in my letter of resignation -- you sort of feel like the walking dead for your remaining time at work.

4. vtrain

vtrain Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Now you're living life. Relish the fear and enjoy the ride. Good luck on your journey :)

5. Learfan

Learfan Machine Gunner
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes, I was very badly frightened from the time I made the decision to leave until my last day. I could not sleep well for months both before and after leaving. The entire process of making major life changes was terrifying, however, I was not turning back since the job was horrible, there was no hope for improvement and there was zero potential to get another job in areas where I was qualified. So, it was go forward into an unknown but promissing future or succumb to something that was rotting my life away. I finished the MS1 year with one pass grade and four honors grades and am still quite scared of what the future holds. All major change is frightening. You just have to learn to live with it and press forward anyway.

The very best of luck with your choice.

6. hermit

hermit Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have been in the same boat. Limbo keeps you pretty edgy until you get that acceptance letter. But the little victories along the way will keep you going until then. The good news is, if you are studying as much as you should be, time FLIES!!!

Best of luck.

7. chicagoml

chicagoml Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I actually quite like my job although it can be boring at times. I have just 5 days of work left until I hang up that hat and do the school thing full-time. It is definitely a terrifying leap, but I just feel it's the right move. I'll be able to knock out all of my pre-reqs over the next year and enter the application cycle in '07. I'm excited but will probably wonder what in the he-- I have done when that first payday comes around and there's no deposit into my bank account!

8. maxhealth

maxhealth Langendorff Land
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Thanks everyone. Glad to know you can relate. I've found a house and will be moving across the country to a new city in about three weeks. Again, scary/exciting! I can't believe I'll be studying medicine in a few short weeks. To think, I almost gave up on it all. I CAN'T WAIT!