Done!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Posting DAT scores seems to be the thing to do in this forum. I just finished it not more than an hour ago, and let me just say...it is great to be finished!

I know my scores aren't nearly as good as some of you over-achievers, but here goes:

PA 21
QR 17 (boo)
RC 25
BIO 21
GC 25
OC 21
TS 22
AA 22

I guess this means that in the spirit of the comparative/competitive nature of SDN, I have to add my scores to my signature? ;)

Members don't see this ad.

hey those are awesome scores....not everyone on sdn is an over achiever.

well, in keeping tradition, do you have any helpful tips? do you remember any of the questions? how did you prepare....and what did you think of each section? since your RC score is pretty nice, did you do skimming reading the first line of each paragraph?

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
lintydent said:
hey those are awesome scores....not everyone on sdn is an over achiever.

well, in keeping tradition, do you have any helpful tips? do you remember any of the questions? how did you prepare....and what did you think of each section? since your RC score is pretty nice, did you do skimming reading the first line of each paragraph?

:D

I began studying in the beginning of June, and probably averaged 5-7 hours a week. I stepped it up in the 2 weeks before my test to about 10-15 hours a week.

The best two pieces of advice I can offer are:
  • Get good sleep the night before the test, eat a good breakfast, and take a lot of deep breaths.
  • Use the MARK function whenever you don't know the answer or aren't 90% sure you're correct. (Always put a "guess" answer on questions you mark in case you run out of time).

As far as questions, I don't remember any verbatim. All I can offer is know the following: Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium, various phyla/classes (ie Chordata) and their associated characteristics, acid/base equilibria and conversion to pH, SN1/SN2/E1/E2, atomic/ionic radius. That's really all I can remember (my brain is so fried!).

The natural sciences section was much easier than I thought it would be. The PAT angle ranking exercises were a lot more difficult that I thought they would be. As far as the cubes, I used the "cube-counting" method described in the Kaplan book, which gave me more time on other sections. There weren't many pattern folding exercises with pictures on the faces of the paper - it was mostly "what 3-D shape would this paper turn in to" type questions. Does that make sense? It's hard to explain. Paper folding was about what I expected, as was top-front-end.

QR was more difficult than I anticipated. There were many word problems (I struggle with those). There was also a C/F degree conversion and some difficult square root/exponent problems.

RC: unless you have awesome recall skills, I would NOT read the passages before starting the questions. Use your scratch paper to make a basic outline. The paragraphs are numbered on the actual DAT, so number them accordingly on your outline. Refer to it to find the answers in the passage. For questions that you don't have a clue about and cannot immediately remember where to find the answer, use the "mark" function and get the easier questions first.

I hope this helps! Good luck :)

yeah i took the same DAT today and for the QR, it was say harder than any practice test. There were a few trig problems, a few rather hard probability questions as well some conversions as mentioned. I think this was just a hard exam, hopefully when you guys take it, it'll be easier.

PAT was okay, comparable to topscore/acheiver etc. Angles were hard but not impossible, hardest part i thought were the top/front/end, pattern folding/hole punching were also rather easy. i got a 20

Bio- pretty straight forward, weird questions on morpholgoy and cell stuff, i forgot the details. I studied a lot on the human circulatory/repsiratory/digestive/endocrine stystem and only got one on them total. If i had to focus my last week of studying, i'll prolly look more into plants and basic cell biology.

ochem/gchem pretty easy, straigt forward, you can do it!!

Overall, i think you can only go so far by "studying" kaplan, schaums, etc. you really need to have background in all the sciences from ur undergrad to get those 27s or perfect 29s. In all honesty, just study hard and hope for the best, have confidence and the rest is history. Good luck sdn!

22/21/20

dontbam said:
yeah i took the same DAT today and for the QR, it was say harder than any practice test. There were a few trig problems, a few rather hard probability questions as well some conversions as mentioned. I think this was just a hard exam, hopefully when you guys take it, it'll be easier.

PAT was okay, comparable to topscore/acheiver etc. Angles were hard but not impossible, hardest part i thought were the top/front/end, pattern folding/hole punching were also rather easy. i got a 20

Bio- pretty straight forward, weird questions on morpholgoy and cell stuff, i forgot the details. I studied a lot on the human circulatory/repsiratory/digestive/endocrine stystem and only got one on them total. If i had to focus my last week of studying, i'll prolly look more into plants and basic cell biology.

ochem/gchem pretty easy, straigt forward, you can do it!!

Overall, i think you can only go so far by "studying" kaplan, schaums, etc. you really need to have background in all the sciences from ur undergrad to get those 27s or perfect 29s. In all honesty, just study hard and hope for the best, have confidence and the rest is history. Good luck sdn!

22/21/20

Great job Dontbam, I'd be happy with those scores as I'm sure you are! :thumbup: Best of luck to you.

jrm said:
Posting DAT scores seems to be the thing to do in this forum. I just finished it not more than an hour ago, and let me just say...it is great to be finished!

I know my scores aren't nearly as good as some of you over-achievers, but here goes:

PA 21
QR 17 (boo)
RC 25
BIO 21
GC 25
OC 21
TS 22
AA 22

I guess this means that in the spirit of the comparative/competitive nature of SDN, I have to add my scores to my signature? ;)

Wow, how do you get the RC so high?

You said:
Wow, how do you get the RC so high?

Honestly, I have no idea. I am naturally a very fast reader, so that probably helps.

Like I said in a previous response, I don't initially read the passage. Use your scratch paper to create a basic, numbered outline and refer back to the corresponding passage for the answers.