Don't Get Hired By CVS... Get Fired?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThunderThighs

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Uhh I am pretty sure that is false. We have interns that didn't accept a job offer yet and they haven't been fired yet. I guess it could very by districts but I don't think there is a rule that interns have to be immediately terminated for not accepting a job offer.

That is policy in some districts (even earlier than P4 year in some). Following the policy seems...very variable.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is actually true. In my area, the 4th year interns at CVS were all interviewed for positions for after graduation. If you were not offered a job, there was not a point in paying you the higher pay and keeping you around so they would fire you. This has happened to several friends of mine.

I heard that if you don't get hired by them as a pharmacist, they will fire you as an intern. So if they make their decisions in January during P4 year, and don't offer me a job or I don't accept, they'll fire me as an intern and I'll be job-less for 6 months? This concerns me because I'm not planning on working for CVS as a pharmacist.

This is what they did for me at Walmart. I didn't accept their position and I was graciously let go. I understood. Why would they continue to train you and pay you when they could hire P1?

I heard that if you don't get hired by them as a pharmacist, they will fire you as an intern. So if they make their decisions in January during P4 year, and don't offer me a job or I don't accept, they'll fire me as an intern and I'll be job-less for 6 months? This concerns me because I'm not planning on working for CVS as a pharmacist.

Terminated for going to medical school in P4. Understandable - still interviewed me for per diem and was going to hire me but the district manager that was going to hire me switched districts. I was hoping to work this summer but it looks like its going to be a tough market.

Variable - I had some acquaintances fired after contracts couldn't be tendered in their P4 year. Why keep you on when you're not going to be hired eventually?

TRUE story.. I was called at 7pm or so by my pharmacy manager when I was a P4 telling me that tomorrow would be my last day and I was being removed from the schedule. He was very apologetic and I could tell it was all the DM's doing and he was kind of surprised by it all.. but i found it kind of unceremonious. I at least would expect an email from the DM stating in writing I was being let go? Copy + Paste + Send. Its not too difficult. Minimal professionalism.

And another one of my classmates had it even worse.. he came to work one day and was told he was no longer on the schedule and had to go home.

I've worked for many many retails companies over the years and I found my experience at CVS to be by far the worst in terms of upper management.

TRUE story.. I was called at 7pm or so by my pharmacy manager when I was a P4 telling me that tomorrow would be my last day and I was being removed from the schedule. He was very apologetic and I could tell it was all the DM's doing and he was kind of surprised by it all.. but i found it kind of unceremonious. I at least would expect an email from the DM stating in writing I was being let go? Copy + Paste + Send. Its not too difficult. Minimal professionalism.

And another one of my classmates had it even worse.. he came to work one day and was told he was no longer on the schedule and had to go home.

I've worked for many many retails companies over the years and I found my experience at CVS to be by far the worst in terms of upper management.
I do not have experience with other retail upper management but CVS where I was at was very nasty as a new graduate which wasn't surprising.

I could tell that I had no value and didn't mean anything to the pharmacy supervisor. In this economy and market you are easily replaceable and they know it.

My pharm supervisor thought she could strong arm me and talk to me like a child by giving me ultimatums. She picked the wrong one. I was ALWAYS respectful too. A few other colleagues were made non rehirable over wanting to transfer or leaving the company because the pharm supervisor was just upset. I moved on and pursued residency and ended up matching best decision I've made so far.

Last edited:
I moved on and pursued residency and ended up matching best decision I've made so far.

:thumbup:

Yup, CVS, Walgreens, Rite Aid all abuse their new grads. They will burn you out until you leave. The sign-on bonus a few years ago? It wasn't for you to sign on with the company but to make you stay for 3+ years or you will have to return the bonus plus tax/interest. Even that is gone. So are the:

(1) 401 k matching: wait for 2 years? kidding me?
(2) 8 hour shift: some days you are given only 4 hours at a store that is an hour away
(3) Good help: we never got this anyways
(4) Health benefits: nope, gotta wait and when you do get it, you get to choose between high deductible plan or high premium plan
(5) Vacation: gotta work full time for a year then you get only 5 days off
(6) 40 hours a week: long gone...you just get 30 hours now. That's a 25% paycut!
(7) Salary: start significantly lower than other pharmacists and get way less than the 2-3% inflation adjustment per year

I don't wish retail on anyone. I did it as an intern for 3+ years. I worked like crazy...sometimes even 30 hours a week. I can tell you there's a huge difference between working just one day a week and working 5 days a week. There is also a huge difference between working carefree as a intern or technician and working as a pharmacist. A huge difference. It is a life sucking job.

That happened to me at the nursing home/rehab center pharmacy where I worked. 2 weeks before graduation they took me off the schedule since there were no pharmacist positions open and there were some P1s who were sniffing around looking for jobs. And the rule there was that if they kept me they had to pay me like $30/hour to be a grad pharmacist and they didn't want to do that.

Sorta reminds me of this scene.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OaMvxVHFs4[/YOUTUBE]