Don't go to the Caribbean. It's too risky.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Go ahead and point out where I said it was stellar.

Your evidence is from having "heard" from all the grads. You've never been in medical school, you've never been in clinical training. You opinion carries no weight.

Uh, when graduates tell you "clinical training is a joke, we were basically just shadowing, you need to be proactive to learn, they didn't know my name, they cancelled my rotation, etc." then you don't need to actually be a student to come to the conclusion that the Caribbean will not prepare you adequately during third and fourth year. That just adds to the risk of trying to become a doctor down that route because you don't want to be labeled as incompetent.

There was an article about five years ago on this exact same topic where a Ross university student was kicked out of residency because apparently he/she was incompetent clinically. It's actually no laughing matter.

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical training is poor! You don't need research; it's inferred lol.

That's like arguing fast food won't make you fat.

Why don't you explain how clinical education is spectacular at these schools? Some of these students are rotating at the trashiest community hospitals.

I will give you an example. Ross has two hospital affiliations in California for their core rotations. I will be talking about the one in Bakersfield aka Kern Medical center. Ross rotates their students there with UCLA med students. They even stated it on their website that they are affiliated with ucla med school, ross, and AUC.

So why does a top med school like UCLA rotate their students at such a "****ty" hospital?

FAQ - Kern Medical
- scroll down to student life section and look at "affiliations"

Idk you need to do a bit more research than just say using your inference. Sure, it may be just one example, but it refutes your statement.

Reactions: 1 user
I will give you an example. Ross has two hospital affiliations in California for their core rotations. I will be talking about the one in Bakersfield aka Kern Medical center. Ross rotates their students there with UCLA med students. They even stated it on their website that they are affiliated with ucla med school, ross, and AUC.

So why does a top med school like UCLA rotate their students at such a "****ty" hospital?

FAQ - Kern Medical
- scroll down to student life section and look at "affiliations"

Idk you need to do a bit more research than just say using your inference. Sure, it may be just one example, but it refutes your statement.

And how many of those Ross students match at UCLA-affiliated hospitals lol?

I wonder why.

Members don't see this ad :)

Why don't you explain how clinical education is spectacular at these schools? Some of these students are rotating at the trashiest community hospitals.

There is actual data on why fast food is unhealthy. Nothing inferred.

You have based your "research" on what you've heard other people say. What makes a community hospital trashy? By what metrics are you judging that hospital? I am curious.

Like I've posted many times before, you have an opinion. But it is subjective. You have yet to provide any objective data, yet claim to have "researched" extensively for over 2 decades.

My program has a mix of AMGs and IMGs and I certainly feel like my 3rd and 4th year clinical training adequately prepared me.

:laugh: Oh yes, you read about a Ross student who was kicked out 5 years ago. That must clearly be a great indication of how poor Ross' clinical training must be. What about all the other Ross graduates that havn't been kicked out of residency? They must be doing something right.

There is actual data on why fast food is unhealthy. Nothing inferred.

You have based your "research" on what you've heard other people say. What makes a community hospital trashy? By what metrics are you judging that hospital? I am curious.

Like I've posted many times before, you have an opinion. But it is subjective. You have yet to provide any objective data yet claim to have "researched" extensively for over 2 decades.

My program has a mix of AMGs and IMGs and I certainly feel like my 3rd and 4th year clinical training adequately prepared me.

:laugh: Oh yes, you read about a Ross student who was kicked out 5 years ago. That must clearly be a great indication of how poor her clinical training must be. What about all the other Ross graduates that havn't been kicked out of residency? They must be doing something right.

Listen I get it, you want to prove a point.

How would you know if your clinical training adequately prepared you for anything if you did not go to a US program? What's the basis? When you rotate along a Harvard grad, let me know how similar your training is and then maybe I will consider SGU's offer for the no MCAT admission.

How would you know if your clinical training adequately prepared you for anything if you did not go to a US program? What's the basis? When you rotate along a Harvard grad, let me know how similar your training is and then maybe I will consider SGU's offer for the no MCAT admission.

Why would I need to go to a US med school to know if my caribbean school rotations prepared me well enough for my residency program? That makes no sense. My 3rd and 4th year were adequate enough for me to currently meet standards set by my residency.

I'll let you know if i ever come across a harvard grad in the wild.

I think you need to research for another decade before you decide to pull the trigger. There are still a few misconceptions you may need to clear up.

I wonder why.

I mean you're introducing a whole new topic. you said clinical education in ROTATIONS not matching. Make up your mind, please ffs.

Reactions: 1 users

Are you saying any med schools anywhere that do not require the mcat are bad, will be subpar, and not match their students well?

Why would I need to go to a US med school to know if my caribbean school rotations prepared me well enough for my residency program? That makes no sense. My 3rd and 4th year were adequate enough for me to currently meet standards set by my residency.

I'll let you know if i ever come across a harvard grad in the wild.

I think you need to research for another decade before you decide to pull the trigger. There are still a few misconceptions you may need to clear up.

I'm sure anybody reading this is having a good laugh. Keep it coming.

I'm sure anybody reading this is having a good laugh. Keep it coming.

Agreed. Not often you see someone researching medical schools for 20 years and have nothing to show for it.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I mean you're introducing a whole new topic. you said clinical education in ROTATIONS not matching. Make up your mind, please ffs.

Don't clinical rotations get grades lol? Don't those grades lead to LOR's? Don't both factor into residency placement lol? If Ross students are rotating at such spectacular programs, then I would expect them to match to the same programs. The match list does not reflect the spectacular rotation sites.

Agreed. Not often you see someone researching medical schools for 20 years and have nothing to show for it.

You want me to go to a Caribbean school? I told you they are subpar and a giant risk.

You want me to go to a Caribbean school? I told you they are subpar and a giant risk.

No, I'd suggest you go back to undergrad and work on your application to get into a USMD/DO, rather than waste another 20 years researching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't clinical rotations get grades lol? Don't those grades lead to LOR's? Don't both factor into residency placement lol? If Ross students are rotating at such spectacular programs, then I would expect them to match to the same programs. The match list does not reflect the spectacular rotation sites.

You do get grades, but you do realize many schools do high pass/honors, pass, and fail system during shelves. Like I said, it's a different story from what you claimed earlier. You said they rotated at bad hospitals, thus leading to subpar clinical education. But rotating at bad or good hospitals does not play a factor into you matching if you have not realized that yet.

please answer if you think that if any med school anywhere that do not require the mcat or an equivalent to that will be subpar in pre-clinical and clinical education and will not match well.

No, I'd suggest you go back to undergrad and work on your application to get into a USMD/DO, rather than waste another 20 years researching.

Maybe that's not what I want to do lol.

You do get grades, but you do realize many schools do high pass/honors, pass, and fail system during shelves. Like I said, it's a different story from what you claimed earlier. You said they rotated at bad hospitals, thus leading to subpar clinical education. But rotating at bad or good hospitals does not play a factor into you matching if you have not realized that yet.

please answer if you think that if any med school anywhere that do not require the mcat or an equivalent to that will be subpar in pre-clinical and clinical education and will not match well.

I'm going to give you a HW assignment. Go to SGU, Ross, AUC, and maybe Saba or AUA and get a list together of all their clinical sites. Then compare and constrast those locations to the match lists the schools post, then after that research the board pass rates of those programs. I think you will find some very useful information with that research.

I'm going to give you a HW assignment. Go to SGU, Ross, AUC, and maybe Saba or AUA and get a list together of all their clinical sites. Then compare and constrast those locations to the match lists the schools post, then after that research the board pass rates of those programs. I think you will find some very useful information with that research.

please answer my question of what i said below

please answer my question of what i said below

All Caribbean clinical education is subpar. Beyond that, basic sciences is subpar because they just teach you to pass STEP1. Some no-name Caribbean schools are even teaching outdated information. Do your research.

• Haha
All Caribbean clinical education is subpar. Beyond that, basic sciences is subpar because they just teach you to pass STEP1. Some no-name Caribbean schools are even teaching outdated information. Do your research.

I'm sorry, but can you read? I said any med school at any place that has no mcat requirement. Do you think their education is subpar then? I already know your stance on Caribbean.

I'm sorry, but can you read? I said any med school at any place that has no mcat requirement. Do you think their education is subpar then? I already know your stance on Caribbean.

I am not going to argue with silly people like yourself. The MCAT is a US requirement. There are spectacular medical schools in Europe, Asia, and Australia that do not require an "MCAT." And yes, those programs are superior to Carib for-profit programs.

I am done speaking with you. You obviously are wasting everyone's time.

Good day

I am not going to argue with silly people like yourself. The MCAT is a US requirement. There are spectacular medical schools in Europe, Asia, and Australia that do not require an "MCAT." And yes, those programs are superior to Carib for-profit programs.

I am done speaking with you. You obviously are wasting everyone's time.

Good day

Let me start off with this, I am not advocating for Caribbean med schools. It seemed like you missed that. Actually, no you're not correct on that. MCAT is not only a US requirement. Some Australia med school will take the mcat in lieu of their mcat equivalent. Also, in Canada, mcat is a requirement too.

You basically just answered my question that mcat requirement doesn't equate to good pre-clinical and clinical education. You do realize that there are still a few med schools in the US that do not require the mcat. There's at least one in California and at least one in texas. I don't know too much about them, but all i know is that they don't require the mcat and if you EAP with the one in California, they will look at you and if you meet what they want, they will accept you without the mcat. Some are BS-MD programs and some are not. What are your thoughts?

Let me start off with this, I am not advocating for Caribbean med schools. It seemed like you missed that. Actually, no you're not correct on that. MCAT is not only a US requirement. Some Australia med school will take the mcat in lieu of their mcat equivalent. Also, in Canada, mcat is a requirement too.

You basically just answered my question that mcat requirement doesn't equate to good pre-clinical and clinical education. You do realize that there are still a few med schools in the US that do not require the mcat. There's at least one in California and at least one in texas. I don't know too much about them, but all i know is that they don't require the mcat and if you EAP with the one in California, they will look at you and if you meet what they want, they will accept you without the mcat. Some are BS-MD programs and some are not. What are your thoughts?

My thoughts?

Avoid Caribbean at all costs and invest time and resources into getting into a US program. Those who are meant to be doctors will make it through and those that can't should find another career.

Some people don't realize NP's make good money. Perfusion is making 220K with overtime in NYC and that is with a $30000 certificate program. Nobody in their right mind should pay a Carib school the prices they charge for a slim chance at matching primary care. Do the math. That's my advice.

My thoughts?

Avoid Caribbean at all costs and invest time and resources into getting into a US program. Those who are meant to be doctors will make it through and those that can't should find another career.

Some people don't realize NP's make good money. Perfusion is making 220K with overtime in NYC and that is with a $30000 certificate program. Nobody in their right mind should pay a Carib school the prices they charge for a slim chance at matching primary care. Do the math. That's my advice.

i meant on the mcat part. Wasnt one of the reasons why you didnt do SGU beacuse of the no mcat requirement and you wanted a school to have that to show that their education is good? What about those schools in the USA that do not require the mcat since you claimed mcat is a US only thing, which is still wrong.

Well, those are different areas. Like I said, i never advocated for the caribbeans. US MD/DO >>> .

• Okay...
My thoughts?

You spent two decades researching caribbean schools.

Instead you could have become a perfusionist and made roughly $3.8 million over the last 17 years, based on your claimed NYC salary estimates (pre-tax of course).

That math doesn't look pretty.

And again, every single person on this forum advocates for prospective medical students to exhaust every option available to them prior to going to an offshore school. I am not sure what you're trying to prove (with non-existent data). In the end, caribbean schools will continue their business of taking money from individuals who want to become doctors. Some will make it, some will drop out. Some schools are less predatory than others. Some will match into primary care, others will match into specialties. And some don't match at all.

Caribbean schools are a risk. It all depends on how much of a risk you're willing to take.

Last edited:
You spent two decades researching caribbean schools.

Instead you could have become a perfusionist and made roughly $3.8 million over the last 17 years, based on your claimed NYC salary estimates (pre-tax of course).

That math doesn't look pretty.

And again, every single person on this forum advocates for prospective medical students to exhaust every option available to them prior to going to an offshore school. I am not sure what you're trying to prove (with non-existent data). In the end, caribbean schools will continue their business of taking money from individuals who want to become doctors. Some will make it, some will drop out. Some schools are less predatory than others. Some will match into primary care, others will match into specialties. And some don't match at all.

Caribbean schools are a risk. It all depends on how much of a risk you're willing to take.

I thought they banned you already lol

You are obviously not a smart person. Perfusion salaries went up in the last five years. Perfusionists were making 50K two decades ago.

Since you're oblivious to the outside world, go look at UPMC Carlow's perfusion program. The admission requirements are higher than medical school lol with a mandatory 3.5 GPA with all med school prereqs. That's the reality; maybe you should live in it.

I thought they banned you already lol

You are obviously not a smart person. Perfusion salaries went up in the last five years. Perfusionists were making 50K two decades ago.

Since you're oblivious to the outside world, go look at UPMC Carlow's perfusion program. The admission requirements are higher than medical school lol with a mandatory 3.5 GPA with all med school prereqs. That's the reality; maybe you should live in it.

Well, you better get back to undergrad, get all your med school pre-reqs and get that 3.5 gpa.

As for living with reality, I have no interest in perfusion. I chose to become a physician.

Well, you better get back to undergrad, get all your med school pre-reqs and get that 3.5 gpa.

As for living with reality, I have no interest in perfusion. I chose to become a physician.

It's too bad you couldn't become a physician stateside though.

I've never commented in this sub forum before but this is just too good.

You know whats amazing about becoming a resident in America. There are these board exams you have to take. They are set up in such a way that FSMB and NBME guarantee medical graduates will be of a minimum standard of competence when they apply to residency programs. Regardless if you go to school in Bangladesh, Australia or St. Georges.

I would never recommend going to the Caribbean. Especially when there are plenty of much better alternatives in my opinion. Even if you can not get accepted into US MD/DO program.

But still you sound like such a hater. Hey man sucks that you had aspirations to be a doctor and its not panning out for you. I hope your happy and successful with whatever you do.

But I also respect these people for their audaciousness and tenacity. It is a gamble they have taken and at the end of the day they have a legitimate chance at being a doctor.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

You, Erebuni, are a cold timid soul. Best of luck though.

Reactions: 1 users
I've never commented in this sub forum before but this is just too good.

You know whats amazing about becoming a resident in America. There are these board exams you have to take. They are set up in such a way that FSMB and NBME guarantee medical graduates will be of a minimum standard of competence when they apply to residency programs. Regardless if you go to school in Bangladesh, Australia or St. Georges.

I would never recommend going to the Caribbean. Especially when there are plenty of much better alternatives in my opinion. Even if you can not get accepted into US MD/DO program.

But still you sound like such a hater. Hey man sucks that you had aspirations to be a doctor and its not panning out for you. I hope your happy and successful with whatever you do.

But I also respect these people for their audaciousness and tenacity. It is a gamble they have taken and at the end of the day they have a legitimate chance at being a doctor.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

You, Erebuni, are a cold timid soul. Best of luck though.

I think that's what this whole thread was about. I don't think anybody should become a doctor by just meeting the bare minimums.

Sorry if what I said hurt your feelings.

Oh, I never really had aspirations of becoming a doctor because I found another career that I think I am the best fit for. You see, that's another example of making good decisions. Nobody should become a doctor for reasons other than wanting to become a doctor. Hope you don't make that mistake.

I'm confused by this thread. Erebuni, you keep saying that SGU is baiting students by offering entrance without an MCAT and that you were considering going to SGU.

I considered SGU because they are not requiring the MCAT this term but I think I am going to pursue another career altogether because the risk is too great.
Yeah, I probably do know more about Caribbean programs than you and that is why I won't take the bait even though SGU is going to let me in without the MCAT.

I'd actually recommend that you try and transfer out to a US program if that is an option for you.

But why were you even considering going to SGU if you don't want to be a doctor?

Oh, I never really had aspirations of becoming a doctor because I found another career that I think I am the best fit for. You see, that's another example of making good decisions

Did you by chance get rejected by SGU? The amount of disdain you're directing toward SGU seems disproportionate considering you've never gone there and claim to not have even applied to. Is this a sour grapes post?

Rumor has it that SGU was built to resemble a resort so that when they have to close up shop, they can sell it as if it were a resort.
Yeah, I do have something against the Caribbean schools. I think they are scams. I was about to fall for it at SGU with the "C'mon down with no MCAT" offer. No thanks.
let me know how similar your training is and then maybe I will consider SGU's offer for the no MCAT admission.

And there you go! You have a career in sights and you didn't even have to degrade yourself by going to a Caribbean school. You win life!
Perfusion is making 220K with overtime in NYC and that is with a $30000 certificate program.

Just for fun, if you have time, check out this post. It's like a post you'd write if it were opposite day, and you really liked SGU and wanted to start there in September, and wanted to convince everyone that it was a great idea even though you hadn't attended yet. It's uncanny.

Last edited:
  • Inappropriate
Reactions: 2 users
@erebuni After reading through this I had to chime in.

I'm a Ross student currently in my 3rd year. First of all, how can you be the judge that my current clinical education is subpar if you havent even entered med school yet? Most of our clinical sites are with US medical students. Our two california sites, Kern Medical Center in Bakersfield and California Hospital Medical Center, are affiliated with UCLA and USC medical schools and their students rotate there. Cleveland Clinic FL (where I'm at right now) has students from Florida MD programs rotating there.

No one on this forum is saying you should go to a caribbean school over a US school. I'm saying you should exhaust all of your options and apply multiple years to US programs. And I came here knowing that the specialties I will most likely be going into were IM or FM. The numbers that @Gambino. was saying were accurate. From my calculations, we have 900 students entering in a certain year. With about 25% attrition, that number drops down to 675, and we matched 597 students this year. Ok, lets say 100 of those students were trying to match their 2nd or third time, so 497. 497/675 is still much higher than the 50% match rate you were saying. And this year, IMGs from ALL foreign schools had a 61% match rate, the highest match rate for IMGs in 25 years, and thats with the residency merger currently in full effect. Again, not saying these numbers are spectacular because they aren't, and knowing the person I am I was willing to make this risk.

I'm sure this was probably too long for you to read. And its pretty clear by the way you are presenting yourself on here with current caribbean graduates and residents on here, that you are here to troll and bring people down. And I'm sorry but having that attitude in real life will not get you very far in the our profession, so kudos to you for not choosing to go to medical school.

Reactions: 5 users

I wonder why.

You made the argument that our clinical training is subpar. We gave you examples of hospitals where Ross and US students are rotating side by side.
This year we had 6 people match at Kern medical center (UCLA affiliated) IN IM, OBGYN, and Psychiatry , and 1 person match at Harbor-UCLA medical center in Neurology. What is your point in this post please?

Oh wait your account was deleted nvm

Reactions: 4 users
Im a transitional year intern at a community hospital in Florida right now and I went to a large MD school in the states. Most of my cointerns that matched IM here are from the caribbean, and a lot of our seniors are. They know their stuff. I see no lack of knowledge in presenting pts, having differentials, carrying 10 pts at a time. I matched at a top 10 southeast Rads program and ran in to a lot of SGU students on my interview trail at some big name places. Its possible. Prob not easy but def possible. Regardless of where you go to med school, if you somehow bs your way in to a US residency even at a small community program you’re not going to slide by as an intern IMO. You better be ready

Reactions: 3 users
My understanding is that for those who transfer out of SGU, a lot of them have had success at Drexel as second year transfers. Not too sure how it works today but Drexel is one of a handful of schools that takes second year transfers. Some schools explicitely state that they haven't accepted a transfer student in many years and that it is not recommended to apply as a transfer.

I wonder if they can withdraw from the school and then just restart at a US school. That would be a much better option than trying to stay in the Caribbean an not know if you are going to succeed or not.
Drexel grad. No, this rarely happens. Didnt happen in my class.

Drexel grad. No, this rarely happens. Didnt happen in my class.
Drexel doesn't even offer it anymore per their website. I think neomed is the last one left.

Ross grad here. Caribbean is a bit of a gamble but if you work hard you will make it. I'll put my Surgery rotation at St. Mary's in CT where I worked alongside Yale IM residents up against any Surgery rotation anywhere in the country. It was incredible. Ditto for IM at Kings County (I think it is strictly a SGU site now). I matched to a major university medical center. Currently make about $300k in a nice outpatient gig. Wife and I are closing on a million dollar house in a few weeks. I have zero regrets being a Ross grad.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Ross grad here. Caribbean is a bit of a gamble but if you work hard you will make it. I'll put my Surgery rotation at St. Mary's in CT where I worked alongside Yale IM residents up against any Surgery rotation anywhere in the country. It was incredible. Ditto for IM at Kings County (I think it is strictly a SGU site now). I matched to a major university medical center. Currently make about $300k in a nice outpatient gig. Wife and I are closing on a million dollar house in a few weeks. I have zero regrets being a Ross grad.

I know erebuni has been banned but I am sure they still lurk in these forums so I hope they see this.

That is awesome man. I love that. If you study and have a certain degree of cognitive abilities then you will succeed in whatever route you choose to become an MD. Its just unfortunate that the offshore schools let in many people who truly have no business even attempting to pursue a medical education. So I really feel you have to divide Caribbean med students into two groups. It irks me when people write them off as "bottom of the barrel".

This is a little bit of a tangent. One of the constant recurrent themes of my schools curriculum was the social determinants of health. You can expand that to everything. Like social determinants of life outcome or educational achievements. I was first generation American to an orphaned father and my mother literally didn't make it past 9th grade and currently lives in a trailer where she spends her days playing Facebook games and chain smoking hand rolled cigarettes. When I finally made it to medical school I assumed there would be plenty of people like me. Those that had been the first in their family to ever go to college let alone medical school.

Well I was certainly surprised when easily 25-30 percent of my cohort were children of medical doctors. Some of them even both parents were doctors. People like me were the anomaly. These people had been guided and groomed their whole lives for one variant of success or another. Where as me on the other hand. I didn't even apply to a university out of high school because I didn't know the steps and had no guidance from my parents. I just went straight into a community college. This was despite being in the top 15 % academically of a prestigious and rigorous school system.

So to tie everything back together. Not all of us have the opportunity to be provided guidance and encouraged along whatever endeavor we pursue. So perhaps a lot of people who clearly have what it takes to be doctor end up in an off shore school because we made mistakes in the past for whatever reason that limit our options once we finally have an idea where we want to take our life.

So Chianti. Thanks for sharing your story. Certainly brightened my day.

I don't think you quite understand international vs. Caribbean. Do some research on that first. Program directors will take a lot of international grads from Europe, Asia, and Australia BEFORE even looking at Caribbean. Also, keep in mind some programs will not even look at your application if you are not from SGU.
For anyone reading this - as an SGU student who just went through the match, this guy is severely under-educated and has no place speaking for program directors. If you are a US citizen you will be prioritized over an FMG from anywhere else. Granted, you still need to have a better CV/scores/LORs than any US MD student in order to compete for a spot with them, but you 100% have a leg up over FMGs due to your citizenship and clinical training in the US.