Don't Hate Yourselves, I was There Too

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doc2b1977

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. Okay, I have been reading all the posts people have put up lately, laughing at a lot of them (I'm glad everyone can still find humor in this situation....don't let this test win by making you hate yourself or life in general), and totally empathizing with the vast majority of you. It is the not-knowing for about 60 days about your scores that can kill you. Your life is effectively on hold, all plans for summer are up in the air, and you don't know if you can throw away (or burn in my case) all those books. If you feel you did bad, then you are probably thinking you wasted months of your life, are stupid for not doing better, and kicking yourselves for missing the "easy" questions. Many of you had violent intestinal issues
I was where many of you are. I took last April's MCAT (my second time) and left TOTALLY dejected. There were so many genetics questions (the first year they were gonna increase the # of questions on it) for one thing. Plus, cell phones went off, there were a helluva lot of PS computations to do, and verbal blew big time. I started to doubt whether med. school was in the cards, though I desperately wanted it. I second-guessed all my answers and effectively convinced myself I failed. It was very easy to accomplish that.
I didn't fail. Remember, versions of tests are more difficult than others. Rest assured that most of you did the best you could. In hindsight, I wish I had fully understood these things then, after the test, but its only natural to be down. Still, always have a plan B. Mine was to go to the Caribbean if I needed to. You will do what you have to do to become a physician. Don't let a test take that goal from you. Take the test again, whatever. Take more classes if your science is weak.
I am starting med. school at Georgetown in August. I didn't kick a#$ on the MCAT but had strong LRS and health care experience. I can't boast about being in the "35+" crowd (wouldn't want to be either, a lot of those people tend to have significant interpersonal, social problems that will come out during interviews, mark my word). You may be thinking admissions committees are cold but they really want to get to know your entire application usually. Sell yourselves well and be proud of the fact that you took a test that most people are scared to take. Things always work out in the end.

Members don't see this ad.

doc-
Well said. I am encouraged by your words, and hope that I encounter the same things you've identified in the post above.
I gave you a karma boost for it. Kudos!

dc

Thanks for the encouragement, doc. And congrats on Georgetown.