Don't have any good science recommendations (Help)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

str8flexed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to get my recommendations soon--I'm a junior taking the April 22 MCAT not planning on taking any years off. My biggest concern is that I do not think I can get good science recommendations. Below are profiles of the people I have on mind that I can ask. Please give me some advice on what I should do with these people...

Now are the SCIENCE teachers, but I will list the cons.

Likely quality of letter if can get: 6/10
Vertebrate Physiology teacher--took Spring semester. I went to several office hours, talked to him a bit, but the class was huge, and he probably forgot about me by now. Got a B+. I know the TA really well--am wondering if I can ask her for a recommendation and have the professor sign off (how do I go about this?? I'm not even sure if they do this policy here).

Quality: 7/10
Intro to Biomechanics/Biomaterials professor--took last year. Quite a while ago, but I know he remembers me (thought maybe not for the BEST reasons). I thought I was wrongly penalized for a question on a test dealing with mechanics, and I had my father, a prof. of mechanical engineering, look at it, and he agreed I was right. Basically, my dad e-mailed him after I couldn't convince the professor that my solution was fine too, and then he gave me the points back. The question alone was worth 15 points and that was about the standard deviation.. so I didn't want to give it up. I got a A- in the class.

Quality: ?/10
Intro to Chronobiology and Sleep--in his class right now. I haven't talked to him at all since the class literally has 150 people or so. Plus, he likes things to go through his TA. He also teaches in the med school sometimes and is very knowledgable about medical things and research, and is a great orator. However, I don't know him. His class is basically a joke, its so easy, and he is VERY busy with his research and all his other activities. (Which means, he may just copy and paste a standard letter of recommendation for me which isn't bad.) What should I do? Try to schedule an appointment ASAP and talk to him one-on-one just once, and then go for it?

Quality: 8/10
Physics 2 teacher. I took it the summer after Freshman year, though, and it is now almost 2 years later! I got an A in his class though, and we talked, although I'm not sure if he still remembers me. How should I approach him?

Your responses will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest getting to know your profs quickly, as most med schools want to see around 3 good refs from science professors. This is required for most apps that I have seen, and I wouldn't expect your app to even be looked at without this.

Personally, I wouldn't even think about applying until I had good refs.

Mempho1983 said:
I would suggest getting to know your profs quickly, as most med schools want to see around 3 good refs from science professors. This is required for most apps that I have seen, and I wouldn't expect your app to even be looked at without this.

Right. What do you think about the science professors I had last year? I mean, I really didn't take any science courses since then.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd email the last two profs you listed, telling them who you are, that you are planning on applying to medical school, and ask if there is any way you can set up an appointment to meet with them for like 15 minutes to discuss the possibility of a letter of rec. If they say yes, bring your resume, maybe ps, etc.

hey, i agree with the last post but you still have time to work on some profs. visit them in office hours and see if they are willing to spend some time with you to discuss a potential lor. i dont think the prof with your father is a good idea

Mempho1983 said:

Yup - LORs can really hurt you if they are mediocre.

If it's a prof that you feel you don't know very well, just ask him/her to meet with you about the rec letter, and ask for a chance to explain a little about who you are and why you'd make a good doctor. Definitely bring a CV or list of activities/achievements, and be prepared to tell the prof all about yourself in a short time. I did this with a prof I had that I hardly knew but aced his developmental bio class. They usually understand that people need science recs, and not everybody is necessarily on buddy-buddy terms with all their science profs, especially at big schools.

BTW, don't you have a science or premed advisor who should know you fairly well? I made a point to take a class with my advisor so she'd have something to write about me besides what I told her in her office.

I don't think you need to know the professors reeeally well to ask for an LOR. Modt of the time (especially in traditional premed courses) they know it is difficult to get to know them well, especially if the class size is over 100 people. Like previous posters mentioned, set up an appointment. Also, often they will ask your permission to talk to the TA about you and get feedback, or you can specifically suggest it to them (instead of asking the TA to write the LOR). That's how it worked in my case. The only other comment I have is to get on it soon. Professors are busy this time of year, and they tend to get hit up for letters by a lot of students around this time, so you might want to hurry.

NapeSpikes said:
I'd email the last two profs you listed, telling them who you are, that you are planning on applying to medical school, and ask if there is any way you can set up an appointment to meet with them for like 15 minutes to discuss the possibility of a letter of rec. If they say yes, bring your resume, maybe ps, etc.
I second this. Also, like someone else said, I wouldn't ask the biomechanics one.

HOw do u store LORs for later use, i thought u couldnt handle them first hand becaues they had to be confedential?

this is exactly why I did not goto a large, public university

good LORs vs. good parties (ughhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

americanpierg said:
HOw do u store LORs for later use, i thought u couldnt handle them first hand becaues they had to be confedential?
Some schools' premed office files them for future use, or sometimes the academic department does this. If not, you may have to use Interfolio or a similar service. Take care of all this legwork early! You'll thank yourself later. :thumbup: