Don't know where to begin! Please help!

Started by tan321
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

tan321

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a second year Canadian student (studying BSc. Psych with a minor in Neuroscience) and I am planning to apply to Australia for medical school. I have no idea where to begin or how the application process is or what my GPA should be. My questions are:

1) Is it easier to get in to than Canadian Universities?
2) Is the MCAT required (or other entrance exams)?
3) What are the pre-reqs?
4) Is it worth it? I would be willing to live/work in Australia.
5) I heard there is a 6 year program that I can apply to and I wouldn't have to finish undergrad. Is this correct?
5) Anything you feel I need to know/any Universities that you suggest I apply to/any to avoid like a plague.

Any information would be much appreciated!!
 
I'm a second year Canadian student (studying BSc. Psych with a minor in Neuroscience) and I am planning to apply to Australia for medical school. I have no idea where to begin or how the application process is or what my GPA should be. My questions are:

1) Is it easier to get in to than Canadian Universities?
2) Is the MCAT required (or other entrance exams)?
3) What are the pre-reqs?
4) Is it worth it? I would be willing to live/work in Australia.
5) I heard there is a 6 year program that I can apply to and I wouldn't have to finish undergrad. Is this correct?
5) Anything you feel I need to know/any Universities that you suggest I apply to/any to avoid like a plague.

Any information would be much appreciated!!

The majority of medical schools in Australia are now 4 year postgraduate degrees. I believe that the 1 or 2 that remain as undergraduate programs are strictly for domestic students but I could be wrong about that. Thus, I would worry about finishing your degree first before thinking about this next step.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm a second year Canadian student (studying BSc. Psych with a minor in Neuroscience) and I am planning to apply to Australia for medical school. I have no idea where to begin or how the application process is or what my GPA should be. My questions are:

1) Is it easier to get in to than Canadian Universities? minimum required most schools 2.7
2) Is the MCAT required (or other entrance exams)? Not for Monash
3) What are the pre-reqs? most schools doesn't have except for Melbourne, Queensland has recommended courses I believe. Check Oztrekk or studies abroad.com
4) Is it worth it? I would be willing to live/work in Australia. Absolutely matching rate to Canada is roughly 63% as per CARMS. Irrespective of all this talk on Internship crisis, a lot of Canadians have matched here , USA or have decided to stay back in Aussie.
5) I heard there is a 6 year program that I can apply to and I wouldn't have to finish undergrad. Is this correct? James Cook University, Monash, UNSW .
5) Anything you feel I need to know/any Universities that you suggest I apply to/any to avoid like a plague. All Aussie schools are pretty good in my opinion.

Any information would be much appreciated!!
 
I think the answers above probably tell you how it is. Let me know if I can be of any additional help
Lyndal from University of Wollongong